Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"World Tour" of Europe in a Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With family in Norway and Slovakia I decided to combine summer visits into a pretty long road trip.

Drove through 13 different countries in total with 5 ferry crossings:

Scotland > England > Netherlands > Germany > Denmark > Norway > Sweden > Poland > Czechia > Slovakia > Austria > Germany > Netherlands > Belgium > France > England > Scotland

Outbound was 2000 miles over 9 days, really only 3.5 days of driving with the rest being leisure:

1692120802833.png

Inbound was 1500 miles over 3 days:

1692120974869.png

Cost of using public chargers (mostly Tesla) averaged out to around 10p per mile. Incidentally, total cost of ferries plus charging was about equivalent to return flights with Ryan Air to Bratislava for a family of four with luggage included. This way we got to see so much more and visit additional family plus have a car available once at our main destination.

Supercharging as expected made the trip very straightforward in so much that I didn't bother planning out stops this time. The only exception to this was in Poland. Arriving into the port of Świnoujście, it became clear that the North and West of the country is very much lacking in Superchargers, so much so that the navigation asked me to drive to Berlin and continue my journey through the Eastern side of Germany to then cross back into Poland again, much further South. I found a public charger (150kW) that was on my route within Poland and fortunately it was with 'Greenway' whom I already had an account with. The rest of the Polish journey wasn't much better, with long detours into Poznan city centre to use the Tesla Superchargers there (driving through a busy city centre for the first time, on the wrong side of the road is a little nerve-wracking) then another 30 min detour to access the Tesla superchargers in Wroclaw. I had looked for alternative non-Tesla chargers, but couldn't find any en route that were of a decent speed/not broken.

Out of about 30 different superchargers we visited, many of which open to all EVs, I only had to wait to charge at one of them, Scotch Corner. Luckily it was only a couple of minutes.

Found a few odd/interesting things at a few stops, first being Timo Glock's (of, "is that Glock...." fame) BMW Formula car, the championship he won in 2001. This was suspended from the ceiling at the supercharger in Lohne, Germany.

1692122319255.png

Charging on the ferry with a Wallbox between Denmark and Norway. 13 Euros to reserve an EV charging spot, probably not worth it for a 3 hour crossing in hindsight:

1692122452604.png

A bunch of mini teslas at a supercharger stop by a science museum in Norway:

1692122521244.png

Finally, in Bratislava, a site with 6 superchargers rated at 130kW, priority on two of the chargers given to Model 3. I suspect these 2 may have been 150kW although I maxed out at 120kW so not certain:

1692122699896.png

So a great road trip once again to Eastern Europe, the car performed great fully laden with luggage and the four of us. Really happy with the performance of the all season Kumho tyres too, as I was worried they might not be great in hotter temperatures but that turned out to not be the case.

I still need to investigate however I think that I may need a new wheel bearing for the offside rear, there's a strange rubbing sound coming from that wheel when driving between 10-25mph. The noise started after the outbound leg, I thought it may just be a small stone caught between pad and disc however after 1500 miles I'd be surprised if it was still there.

Did you find efficiency fluctuate much or was it pretty level throughout? I did a 1600-mile round trip in June and my consumption averaged out at 251 wh/mi with the car fully loaded with four passengers and luggage. I'm wondering what might have been the factor for the higher energy consumption on your trip.

Reactions: baguette
Did you find efficiency fluctuate much or was it pretty level throughout? I did a 1600-mile round trip in June and my consumption averaged out at 251 wh/mi with the car fully loaded with four passengers and luggage. I'm wondering what might have been the factor for the higher energy consumption on your trip.
Just looking at the stats for the outbound trip, efficiency definitely fluctuated with temperature and average speed. I've included some drive stats below, worst of the journeys were on empty motorways (Denmark) or derestricted motorways (Germany) or on motorways with a higher maximum speed (Poland, 140 kph).

So speed probably the main factor here, and to some extent temperature.

1692202518790.png

• Informative
Reactions: baguette and doats1
I will sum-up my trip to france, spain and Andorra later as well, once we return.

However, I had an instance in L' Aldea in Spain, where some V3 stalls were charge-gating at 38 kw, while next to it was full 209 kw.

Anyone knows how to report it?

I will sum-up my trip to france, spain and Andorra later as well, once we return.

However, I had an instance in L' Aldea in Spain, where some V3 stalls were charge-gating at 38 kw, while next to it was full 209 kw.

Anyone knows how to report it?
What do I do if I'm experiencing a problem while using a Supercharger?

Superchargers are monitored closely and regularly serviced by our Tesla Service Technicians to address any technical issues as quickly as possible.

With family in Norway and Slovakia I decided to combine summer visits into a pretty long road trip.

Drove through 13 different countries in total with 5 ferry crossings:

Scotland > England > Netherlands > Germany > Denmark > Norway > Sweden > Poland > Czechia > Slovakia > Austria > Germany > Netherlands > Belgium > France > England > Scotland

Outbound was 2000 miles over 9 days, really only 3.5 days of driving with the rest being leisure:

View attachment 965153

Inbound was 1500 miles over 3 days:

View attachment 965157

Cost of using public chargers (mostly Tesla) averaged out to around 10p per mile. Incidentally, total cost of ferries plus charging was about equivalent to return flights with Ryan Air to Bratislava for a family of four with luggage included. This way we got to see so much more and visit additional family plus have a car available once at our main destination.

Supercharging as expected made the trip very straightforward in so much that I didn't bother planning out stops this time. The only exception to this was in Poland. Arriving into the port of Świnoujście, it became clear that the North and West of the country is very much lacking in Superchargers, so much so that the navigation asked me to drive to Berlin and continue my journey through the Eastern side of Germany to then cross back into Poland again, much further South. I found a public charger (150kW) that was on my route within Poland and fortunately it was with 'Greenway' whom I already had an account with. The rest of the Polish journey wasn't much better, with long detours into Poznan city centre to use the Tesla Superchargers there (driving through a busy city centre for the first time, on the wrong side of the road is a little nerve-wracking) then another 30 min detour to access the Tesla superchargers in Wroclaw. I had looked for alternative non-Tesla chargers, but couldn't find any en route that were of a decent speed/not broken.

Out of about 30 different superchargers we visited, many of which open to all EVs, I only had to wait to charge at one of them, Scotch Corner. Luckily it was only a couple of minutes.

Found a few odd/interesting things at a few stops, first being Timo Glock's (of, "is that Glock...." fame) BMW Formula car, the championship he won in 2001. This was suspended from the ceiling at the supercharger in Lohne, Germany.

View attachment 965171

Charging on the ferry with a Wallbox between Denmark and Norway. 13 Euros to reserve an EV charging spot, probably not worth it for a 3 hour crossing in hindsight:

View attachment 965174

A bunch of mini teslas at a supercharger stop by a science museum in Norway:

View attachment 965176

Finally, in Bratislava, a site with 6 superchargers rated at 130kW, priority on two of the chargers given to Model 3. I suspect these 2 may have been 150kW although I maxed out at 120kW so not certain:

View attachment 965179

So a great road trip once again to Eastern Europe, the car performed great fully laden with luggage and the four of us. Really happy with the performance of the all season Kumho tyres too, as I was worried they might not be great in hotter temperatures but that turned out to not be the case.

I still need to investigate however I think that I may need a new wheel bearing for the offside rear, there's a strange rubbing sound coming from that wheel when driving between 10-25mph. The noise started after the outbound leg, I thought it may just be a small stone caught between pad and disc however after 1500 miles I'd be surprised if it was still there.
Great post Adam and hope you enjoyed the trip. And I assume no problems with the model 3?

Reactions: Medved_77
And I assume no problems with the model 3?
Other than the weird rubbing noise from the rear wheel, which has now resolved itself (suspect it was a small stone) the car ran great.

If I had to pick something, perhaps the a minor frustration was with the speed limit recognition in Poland/Czechia/Slovakia. There they reduce the speed limit when coming up to a hazard and show a sign for the hazard (e.g. junction, bridge etc) but don't then add another sign to say that you can resume at your previous speed. So if going 90 kph along a road and there's a junction coming up, the car recognises the reduced speed limit of 50 kph but then doesn't know that the hazard has been cleared. The problem was exasperated by my wife being very "helpful" and letting me know as soon as I was going over the speed limit, treating the Tesla displayed limit as gospel.

Headlights worked fine, no flashes from the locals. Wipers also good with only a handful of interventions required. Didn't use autopilot or TACC at all as I just find it easier to drive and regulate the speed myself.

Much prefer driving on the right hand side of the road, just feels more natural to me, actually struggled a bit returning to the UK so at that point my wife took over and drove from Grantham services back to Scotland.

Reactions: spdpsba
priority on two of the chargers given to Model 3

Time was, shortly before/after launch of M3 in EU, when the Superchargers were being upgraded from proprietary Model-S/X connecter to the double-cable arrangement, to also support M3 (at that time ...), that if the service team were not able to do all stalls, in that visit / priority, they put the "Model 3 Priority" sticker on the ones that were converted.

There was a thread about "Which have been done / and which have not", but the reality was that Tesla converted the whole of the EU Supercharger stalls in just a few months, and SatNav knew which ones were/were-not so that M3s didn't go there inadvertently.

I expect that is why the sticker is there, rather than any difference on kW

Time was, shortly before/after launch of M3 in EU, when the Superchargers were being upgraded from proprietary Model-S/X connecter to the double-cable arrangement, to also support M3 (at that time ...), that if the service team were not able to do all stalls, in that visit / priority, they put the "Model 3 Priority" sticker on the ones that were converted.

There was a thread about "Which have been done / and which have not", but the reality was that Tesla converted the whole of the EU Supercharger stalls in just a few months, and SatNav knew which ones were/were-not so that M3s didn't go there inadvertently.

I expect that is why the sticker is there, rather than any difference on kW
That's an interesting piece of supercharging history :)

All the stalls were V2, so wonder if they've been upgraded at some point and just forgot to remove the stickers thereafter.

just forgot to remove the stickers thereafter

most likely I reckon. Mostly they did a couple of stalls at a site, moved on, and came back to finish the others. All in all it was pretty impressive how quickly they converted all stalls in EU from MS/MX only to double-cable with M3/CCS connector added.

Just checked the threads at the time. From a glance the first sites to be converted (2 or 4 stalls at each site) was December 2018, and by February / March pretty much all sites across EU had been done; then they did the remainder of the stalls at each site, and that was mostly completed by around June, with a few stragglers being done up to around October. At the time there were around 4,000 stalls across around 450 locations in EU.

I remeber when Elon Musk said 100kWh packs would be the 'limit' Tesla put into their passenger cars back in 2016 and everyone said he was mad and we need more range, bigger packs etc........Given just how easy its now to tour Europe in any Tesla regardless of battery pack size, its probably something thing he was right on!