Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Way Up movie - electric motorcycle trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Claudio’s bike is a gas bike. Just like in Long Way Round and Long Way Down, he’s the camera guy and is mostly off-screen. He’s doing the same riding Ewan and Charlie are, but mostly not on-screen. They play up in one episode where Claudio runs out of gas or at least gets really low. After a couple episodes, they get the hang of charging and there’s less on-screen Range Anxiety shown.

Regarding Tesla, I suspect they were just too early in the development cycle for Tesla to offer up something. The needed a real off-road vehicle, not a mall-crawler.

I heard about their trip last year during filming and I thought it sounded a bit insane; they were using prototype EVs in a part of the world that barely has an electric infrastructure and where the roads can be marginal at best. How will they handle breakdowns (because there will be breakdowns) and charging?

It turns out that Rivian installed over 150 Juicebox L2 chargers along the route (according to the show) though apparently not enough to cover many segments of the trip, particularly in remote parts of Patagonia where there is no grid at all (I’ve spent some time in Patagonia and that is definitely the case). There was also a gas-powered support van with a generator and some solar panels on the roof. Harley provided a portable charger of some type (it is not really explained). And the cold temperatures would effect charge rates and they struggled to do even 100 miles in a day.
Digging up and oldish thread. I've been wondering for quite some time why on earth Rivian or the Long Way Up team didn't enter the location details of all the chargers they installed into plugshare, as it was stated in the show and in several articles in Caranddriver and Motortrend that Rivian installed the chargers. Charlie also promoted the use of Plugshare in a recent Fully Charged Show interview. Seems quite a waste of resources to not have made the locations publicly available...

Well after a seriously frustrating email back and forth with Rivian customer support, who only seemed to want to promote their upcoming adventure network, despite repeatedly saying the installed South American chargers are still there and available to use (despite not being on any map), it seems I may have actually found them. I finally did a google image search for "long way up chargers" and found a pic of them standing in front of their bikes while charging. The pic is from the Enel-x website which is the company that actually installed them. It seems the locations are available via their Juicepass app. I'm installing it now to see.

UPDATE: app installed and it shows even fewer chargers than plugshare does. 4 in Ecuador, and and bunch in Columbia as per plugshare, but nothing further south than that. I've email Enel-x before finding these pages and their app, to see about getting them added to plugshare.

Here's the link to the page describing them and where they state that they can be found by installing the "Enel-X Juicepass" app:

Here's the article about the app:

and about their relationship with the series:

Last edited:
Digging up and oldish thread. I've been wondering for quite some time why on earth Rivian or the Long Way Up team didn't enter the location details of all the chargers they installed into plugshare, as it was stated in the show and in several articles in Caranddriver and Motortrend that Rivian installed the chargers. Charlie also promoted the use of Plugshare in a recent Fully Charged Show interview. Seems quite a waste of resources to not have made the locations publicly available...

Well after a seriously frustrating email back and forth with Rivian customer support, who only seemed to want to promote their upcoming adventure network, despite repeatedly saying the installed South American chargers are still there and available to use (despite not being on any map), it seems I may have actually found them. I finally did a google image search for "long way up chargers" and found a pic of them standing in front of their bikes while charging. The pic is from the Enel-x website which is the company that actually installed them. It seems the locations are available via their Juicepass app. I'm installing it now to see.

UPDATE: app installed and it shows even fewer chargers than plugshare does. 4 in Ecuador, and and bunch in Columbia as per plugshare, but nothing further south than that. I've email Enel-x before finding these pages and their app, to see about getting them added to plugshare.

Here's the link to the page describing them and where they state that they can be found by installing the "Enel-X Juicepass" app:

Here's the article about the app:

and about their relationship with the series:

Update #2

After trying the app again some time later, it appears to be working now and showing chargers throughout South America. Not sure why it's working now, perhaps because I turned on gps as it was loading? Who knows. There are some pretty big caveats though... most of them are type 1, J1772 plugs, but appear to only be wired into regular wall outlets and are labelled as having a max output of only 2kW, which might even be split between 2 chargers as there are 2 at each location for the most part. There is one site SW of Torres del Paine at the south end of a lake that's a type 1 with max 6kW. There's also one in Punta Arenas that's acutally a type 2 S European plug, but again it's only max of 2kW. So not much use to anyone it would seem. There appears to be some more 6 kW sites closer to Santiago, but that's not going to help much for a trip through South America.

I just started the show, it is quite good but then again I really enjoyed the prior two series they did. I can see where people would use the series to confirm their bias towards EVs (either direction). EVs are ready, they made the trip or EVs aren’t ready, they had so much trouble charging.