Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Looking for a 40KWH Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever someone posts a " wtb a 40" thread I always think what they mean is "I want a 60 but don't want to pay for it". Not that they are cheap, but rather they want a S for 10K less than a comparable 60 would be selling for if they plan to use it for commuting. Realistically the 40 models I see for sale seem to be advertised for 60 prices in most cases so it might be easier to find a fairly priced 60.

I was looking a 40's but the prices are too high. Im guessing demand at the lower price point brings more potential buyers. But also the 40's I see have a fair amounts of options.

EDIT: After getting my 60 I don't think a 40 would do it for me, but your not locked to a 40 like us 60's & 85's, one call and 10k later you have a 60

I think the 40s will be the most collectible. I think they'll produce fewer 40s than they do Sigs.

Disagree. 40's are just 60's with a software limitation. Is a 63 split window with 2 spark plug wires removed worth more than one that has all 8 cylinders firing?

Any of the 40's that Tesla buys back will be upgraded (for free) to a 60 and than Tesla will pocket a nice profit.

Disagree. 40's are just 60's with a software limitation. Is a 63 split window with 2 spark plug wires removed worth more than one that has all 8 cylinders firing?

Any of the 40's that Tesla buys back will be upgraded (for free) to a 60 and than Tesla will pocket a nice profit.
The vin is different, so they may be worth a bit more, but most likely not anywhere near a P85.

Since less than 500 40kWh Vins were every produced, it will likely be the rarest and most valuable. That's how car collecting works.

There were more Signature than 40.

More 60's than Signatures.

More P85+ than 60s.

More P85 than P85+

More 85 than P85

2012 Model Year will be the rarest (less than 2500 produced that year).

2013 produced 22K

2014 will likely produce 35K - 40K

etc

I don't think the 40s will command a collectors value. The difference between 500 and 1,200 Sigs really isn't that much. I would think Sig 10 would be worth more than VIN 18,000 or so that is a 40 kWh 20 years from now.

I agree that my 40 will likely never be a collector vehicle; however, at the current selling prices, it does have me wondering whether I could sell it and buy a new 60 for minimal difference. It may be a way to upgrade at a fraction of the cost. The downside is that most of the options I have are now quite a bit more expensive than when I bought them.