Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for disassembly/rebuild DIY for Mando rear caliper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find a DIY for Mando caliper (on non-performance Model 3) rebuild - can anyone please share a link?
Also, where can I find rebuild parts, e.g. seals and dust boots?
If I can figure out how to disassemble and put back together, I'm planning to get them powder coated to match my front calipers (Brembo calipers from a Model S that I had powder coated red). As you can see, a dust boot is a little torn, so would like to replace seal/dust boots in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.jpeg
    IMG_3493.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 91
Tesla doesn't sell seals/boots for the calipers, and it doesn't appear the aftermarket does yet either, at least for the rear.
You might just need to buy a used caliper set off eBay- they're about $100 for a pair. Or upgrade to the actual performance rear brakes for about $300.

Reactions: calvinlau
Tesla doesn't sell seals/boots for the calipers, and it doesn't appear the aftermarket does yet either, at least for the rear.
You might just need to buy a used caliper set off eBay- they're about $100 for a pair. Or upgrade to the actual performance rear brakes for about $300.
A few things to consider is that upgrading to the Performance rears also requires new pads, rotors, and jumper harnesses. And, unfortunately, almost every seller on eBay is selling severely damaged calipers shrouded in nice looking pictures.

That being said, I agree this is still the best route, just expect to spend ~$1,000 or more all said and done.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Thanks guys. Since my calipers are working fine, and the seals/boots don't seem to be available, I think I'll just go with G2 caliper paint to match the Brembo fronts, rather than hassle with taking them apart to powder coat them.
But I thought the rotors in the rear are the same for Performance and Dual-motor, is that not the case?
Do the Performance rear calipers offer much improvement over the dual-motor rear calipers?

But I thought the rotors in the rear are the same for Performance and Dual-motor, is that not the case?
Do the Performance rear calipers offer much improvement over the dual-motor rear calipers?
On the Model 3 and early Y's they are different. On recent Y's they are the same.
They offer enough performance increase for Tesla to be willing to do it. Are you actually going to use the car on road courses which is the only real place you might need bigger than stock brakes?

I see now, the Performance pads are a little bigger in the radial dimension. I already have big brakes in the front (4 piston Brembo), and have done several track days without any problem in the rears, but there is always something more down the rabbit hole of car upgrades. I’ll put an upgrade to performance rear brakes on the list!