Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for EV advocate organizations in NY state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good friend of mine owns a home in a townhouse community outside of NYC. He's on the board of the HOA, but they're trying to enact some very strict rules about EV charging.

For instance, the proposed rules say you can only charge your car in your driveway between 8pm and 8am -- ostensibly, they don't want cables running all over the place. Some homes don't have driveways but assigned parking spots along the tree-lines streets. Some owners' spots are in front of their house, but some might be several yards away from their house, so they're not sure how to allow those owners to charge their EVs. He's looking for any help from advocacy groups who might be able to fight the HOA on instituting these draconian rules (The HOA is mostly old fogies that don't want to spoil the ambiance of the development with cables all over the place).

The HOA is also feels that since there are frequent landscapers always working in these grassy areas, they're afraid of cables being run over by mowers and people getting shocked or injured, or even a cable being slightly damaged and leaving exposed conductors that could shock people.

Any suggestions on how can can challenge these rules with existing laws or rules on the books?

Thanks.

I don't know that kind of sounds almost reasonable to me. Imagine all the charging cables all over the grass and sidewalk during the day. It does cause problems. I live in a townhome community and charge in my garage or I run the cable under the garage door and charge on the driveway. The landscapers do go over the driveway when mowing between places.

What they should do is just allow the driveway charging anytime but the car needs to be within 3ft of the garage door. This is how I do it.

The street parking of electric vehicles is going to be a huge problem in NY. Really these communities are going to need to invest in EV charging stations in the street parking spots. What they should do is partner with someone like chargepoint and offer residents some kind of discounted cost to put a charger in their parking spot. Chargepoint software will allow them to be billed the rate for electric consumption.

The hoa needs to plan ahead for the next 10years because it's going to be a big problem if they don't.

A good friend of mine owns a home in a townhouse community outside of NYC. He's on the board of the HOA, but they're trying to enact some very strict rules about EV charging.

For instance, the proposed rules say you can only charge your car in your driveway between 8pm and 8am -- ostensibly, they don't want cables running all over the place. Some homes don't have driveways but assigned parking spots along the tree-lines streets. Some owners' spots are in front of their house, but some might be several yards away from their house, so they're not sure how to allow those owners to charge their EVs. He's looking for any help from advocacy groups who might be able to fight the HOA on instituting these draconian rules (The HOA is mostly old fogies that don't want to spoil the ambiance of the development with cables all over the place).

The HOA is also feels that since there are frequent landscapers always working in these grassy areas, they're afraid of cables being run over by mowers and people getting shocked or injured, or even a cable being slightly damaged and leaving exposed conductors that could shock people.

Any suggestions on how can can challenge these rules with existing laws or rules on the books?

Thanks.
I'd say just search on Google, but if they can't find anything, maybe contact Plug-in America to see if they can point to organizations in New York State.

Townhouses are definitely a challenge because you're likely running cables public areas like sidewalks and grass.

Honestly, I think that if they're saying 8pm to 8am charging is OK, that's a positive sign, although I understand that it's inconvenient not to be able to plug in immediately when you get home.

From that point they might be able to work towards rules about safe running of cables that would allow them to persuade the board to limit time rules to running cables across communal pavement and grass.

Something as simple as cable covers can reduce tripping hazards and keep the cable run tidy. I think there are also some more expensive solutions for running cables to the curb.