Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for P85, $30K budget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a P85 in good condition with a budget of $30K (so I'm guessing somewhere around 2013-2014). KBB has private party priced between 26K and 29K on the 2013 so I don't think I'm too far off on the budget here (100K miles and noted as "very good")

Most preferably 21" wheels. Smaller wheels are OK but I'd rather have the 21's. Really just depends on the price I suppose.

A recent drive unit replacement, or one done at any point in it's lifetime, is a plus, to me at least, as that's one of my big concerns for something that will go out shortly after I take ownership of the car.

100K miles is fine. Not looking for it to have much more than that, if any.

Preferable colors in this order from highest wanted:

1) Titanium
2) Black
3) White
4) Blue

Tan or black interior.

Note: This will be a cash deal. This is a "feeler" post if you will. I'll be officially ready to purchase around January 15th.

* I will also heavily consider a 2015+ 70D, 75D or 85D and will raise my budget around $10K-12K or so. Just something I'm considering - not for certain. But if you have something like this, it's worth sharing with me.

KBB doesn't have much of a basis in reality when it comes to the used market on Model S cars. As such, you'll find some heated discussions around here from those who think they can steal one for half of market value and those that have had their finger on the pulse for a year or two and know what most of them actually bring. Sure you'll find a great price here and there if you're patient and flexible on not only options & color combo but also condition and history. The preferred color combos with more features and clean history in good condition bring much higher than KBB would have people think.

WARNING: in that price range you will find a LOT of scams. I mean a LOT. It's like Telsa for absurd list prices are the top tool of scammers right now. I've noticed this alarming uptick over the last year or so and some here have posted them as well. They're all over the country and all over the internet on various sales sites. Some obvious (Loaded P85D local to me w/only 20k miles for like $30k) and some not-so-obvious. This also does NOT exclude dealerships. I finally gave up trying to search via Cars.com and other popular sites as I'd find what looked like a great deal on a Model S at a dealership and they always had serious repair histories that were covered up and/or weren't the car they listed. Countless "P85D" cars that ended up being 60kwh or even *eek* 40kwh cars that were previously salvaged. Be warned, there's tons of scams going on on Teslas right now so if it's a deal that seems like it's too good to be true, go with that feeling.

I think a lot of people see those sorts of things and w/o doing too much research on individual cars and sellers assume that's a real listing. Even after Craigslist started charging $5 per car listing I noticed that, after a brief period, the scammers are back. Probably using stolen credit cars or something too.

KBB doesn't have much of a basis in reality when it comes to the used market on Model S cars. As such, you'll find some heated discussions around here from those who think they can steal one for half of market value and those that have had their finger on the pulse for a year or two and know what most of them actually bring. Sure you'll find a great price here and there if you're patient and flexible on not only options & color combo but also condition and history. The preferred color combos with more features and clean history in good condition bring much higher than KBB would have people think.

WARNING: in that price range you will find a LOT of scams. I mean a LOT. It's like Telsa for absurd list prices are the top tool of scammers right now. I've noticed this alarming uptick over the last year or so and some here have posted them as well. They're all over the country and all over the internet on various sales sites. Some obvious (Loaded P85D local to me w/only 20k miles for like $30k) and some not-so-obvious. This also does NOT exclude dealerships. I finally gave up trying to search via Cars.com and other popular sites as I'd find what looked like a great deal on a Model S at a dealership and they always had serious repair histories that were covered up and/or weren't the car they listed. Countless "P85D" cars that ended up being 60kwh or even *eek* 40kwh cars that were previously salvaged. Be warned, there's tons of scams going on on Teslas right now so if it's a deal that seems like it's too good to be true, go with that feeling.

I think a lot of people see those sorts of things and w/o doing too much research on individual cars and sellers assume that's a real listing. Even after Craigslist started charging $5 per car listing I noticed that, after a brief period, the scammers are back. Probably using stolen credit cars or something too.

I really appreciate this. Thanks for looking out for the new members like myself

Yes watch out for scammers and not sure about dealers, I'm sure some are dishonest, and some don't know any better. I've heard stories both ways with dealers. I heard one guy tell me he convinced his dealer his 60 was a P car, I can only assume the dealer would list it as performance after buying as Performance. You really need to learn about the cars and what to look for...

My car I bought kind of looked like a scam since there was so little detail. But car was really close and the CL seller was responsive. When I went in person everything check out. Turns out that he didn't really care about listing it. He just picked up his 2018 and wanted this gone. He was super nice and we were both very happy with how the sale worked out. This was my second S I bought in 1 month so I had a pretty good idea what I was dealing with. If you can find a forum member near you, see if they can help check one out when you think you found the right one. Many in the forum are really friendly and helpful. Could turn out to be the best beer you have with someone.

Thank you.

After plenty more consideration, I guess i'm moving into the "should I get a used S or a new 3" group. Seems like this is a common question and is just personal preference. Probably need to do a test drive of both to really weigh the options.

I have a 2013 P85 with 80k miles that im not selling, but for what it's worth, i like the bigger car. We kept it intentionally over a model 3 because of its size and comfort. We also have the rear facing seats which is a huge plus with our 4 kids. Any MS you look at also ask if the screen has been replaced. Mine got the dreaded bubbles a week after the warranty expired. Youll also still have 8 yr warranty on the drive unit so even if it hasnt been replaced (mine hasnt) my understanding from the service guys is the ones that havent been replaced likely wont need replaced. But youll still have a couple years left for peace of mind on a 13 or 14.

I have a 2013 P85 with 80k miles that im not selling, but for what it's worth, i like the bigger car. We kept it intentionally over a model 3 because of its size and comfort. We also have the rear facing seats which is a huge plus with our 4 kids. Any MS you look at also ask if the screen has been replaced. Mine got the dreaded bubbles a week after the warranty expired. Youll also still have 8 yr warranty on the drive unit so even if it hasnt been replaced (mine hasnt) my understanding from the service guys is the ones that havent been replaced likely wont need replaced. But youll still have a couple years left for peace of mind on a 13 or 14.

Nice, I really appreciate the feedback. This is exactly what I'm thinking. We have a 15 year old and 7 year old. Plus a dog and cat. And we often pickup our 7 year old with her friend from school, so I thought it would be remarkable to have those rear-facing seats. I was just thinking it might be hard for me to find all of the options I want, though. But maybe if i give it enough time the right one will pop up.

I did read about the MCU issue and that concerned me. I actually found one for sale that has a new(er) drive unit, new(er) battery (upgraded to a 90), as well as new MCU. No rear-facing seats, however.

I'm really glad that you mentioned the bubbles. I looked at one about a week ago and the description stated "Screen has bubbles but works perfectly." Now I know what that means! I had no idea that was a warning sign for that issue. Thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks for the info on the drive unit. Wasn't aware of that. In fact I was thinking if I found a '13 WITHOUT the drive unit ever being replaced, that I'd be in for making a sore mistake and that it would be a matter of time before it went out.

I came from a LS430 and I love the spacious interior of that machine. After owning the S for 8 months, I've messed up my hair on the headliner a few times, bumped by head on the top of the door jamb a few times. Its a beautiful car but not as spacious as I would like. That is why I am moving up to an X.