Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for suggestions on automakers to short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am anticipating that the move to EVs will lead to massive drop in sales of automakers that have fallen behind in the EV technology.

Is anyone out there trying to profit from this trend by shorting stocks of automakers? Here is the list I found just on quick google search: Electric Vehicles: Which 5 Car Manufacturers Are Falling Behind?

ofcourse, this strategy is for the patient - it could take almost a decade for the trend to play out and the key is to not close the position if there are losses in the medium term.

I am anticipating that the move to EVs will lead to massive drop in sales of automakers that have fallen behind in the EV technology.

Is anyone out there trying to profit from this trend by shorting stocks of automakers? Here is the list I found just on quick google search: Electric Vehicles: Which 5 Car Manufacturers Are Falling Behind?

ofcourse, this strategy is for the patient - it could take almost a decade for the trend to play out and the key is to not close the position if there are losses in the medium term.
I would wait until after the hurricane induced demand surge is abated. Sometime around early summer next year might be the right time to consider short. Fiat Chrysler is my #1 candidate, followed by GM.

Why GM and not Ford? (GM seems to have Bolt and Volt - the only reasonable alternatives to buying a Tesla)
Ford is #3 on the short list. As an ICE company, they are better managed than GM.

Bolt and Volt are just for compliance, GM has no intention to sell them unless they need to. They are selling just enough of them to offset carbon credits requirements.

Reactions: vkathuria
Why GM? If they achieve level 5 before others, even with ice, they'll make money from ridesharing
I have confidence in their incompetence. They know how to screw up even the best of opportunities. To know more about their work culture, you need to dig a little deeper into how they operate.

No, they will never achive anything with auto anything, let alone rideshare.

My recommendation to you: Read 'Zero to One' by Peter Thiel. It will change your perspective tremendously.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst