Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to purchase 2016, Model S 85D, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This model S is currently at a local used car dealer in the Toledo area. See link attached:

2016 Tesla Model S 85D AWD Maumee OH 29448570

I looked briefly at the car today and it appears to be straight, no damage, just the usual curb rash and stone chips. If someone one can run the vin (5YJSA1E26GF130284) and verify the build sheet that would be helpful. I doubt that this dealer will have any specific info as it relates to things like, tech pkg, dual chargers, which charger is has etc.

I am preparing to sell my 2013 S85 with 155kmiles. It was a CPO with 45k. Dark Blue with grey leather, dual chargers, tech pkg,body color roof. It is has been a great car and currently full charge is 248 miles. Usual repairs, upper control arm, sway bar links, contactors, half shafts greased and torqued, door handle repair and 12vt battery last 6 months. Still running original brakes. No damage history. It is a daily driver and is my only car. I am looking for $26,000 for my car. Also comes with and extra set of (basic) rims, no rash and TMPS for 2013 build. I will post pics tomorrow if there is interest.

I'm waiting for my new purchase to be taken the delivery center in Atlanta, a '16 70d, same color, with AP and HIFi, 33K and now with another 50k or 4 years of full warranty. Just bought from TESLA last Friday. under 42K.

That dealers price is out of whack for that car. I looked for the same color combination for weeks before I made a move. There are others out there.

I would have to agree with Larry. I just purchased a Used 2016 Facelift 90D from Tesla a couple weeks ago. I did a ton of looking before deciding to purchased direct from Tesla. The 4 year - 50,000 mile warranty was a huge selling point. the prices of cars in Tesla inventory fluctuate daily (sometime multiple changes a day) so you need to keep up with watching the website. I missed out on a couple different cars waiting for a lower price until I finally pulled the trigger. you will want to know what options are a must for you what you don't really care about. for me I wanted Blue Facelift and needed to have SubZero and Pre upgrade package, 19" rims (no winter tires for the 21" so 4K more for rims and tires for winter was not an option for me). The one I purchased was located in Baltimore about 4 hours from my house. It was an out of state purchase, but super simple process. I didn't trade anything, but Tesla will give you a number for your trade in over the phone if you request a call back on a car. I used https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ to keep tabs on cars. the site is not perfect, but a really good tool. once you find something you really like and want to watch it switch to Tesla's site for the car because ev-cpo seems to only update once or twice a day. there are plenty on the east coast to save on the 2K shipping fee, esp if you are ok with the nose cone models. good luck in your hunt

Just a point here, EV-CPO updates from the Tesla site constantly throughout the day (and night).

Thank you for the update. I was not sure how often the website updates. my experience was that prices would be different a lot of times when clicking through to check out the inventory on Tesla's own sites. The car I ended up purchasing actually was not on the ev-cpo website yet when I found it on Tesla's site and reserved it. It showed up on ev-cpo the next day after I already had it reserved. That is why I only thought they updated the website a couple time.

The car I ended up purchasing actually was not on the ev-cpo website yet when I found it on Tesla's site and reserved it. It showed up on ev-cpo the next day after I already had it reserved.

Can you share with me the VIN and when you reserved it? Because if you reserved it on Day A, there's no way it could have shown up as available on EV-CPO on Day B, as EV-CPO would have found it as sold on Day A and not listed it as available. I'd like to check the dates and logs to see what happened. Thanks.

Thank you for the update. I was not sure how often the website updates. my experience was that prices would be different a lot of times when clicking through to check out the inventory on Tesla's own sites. The car I ended up purchasing actually was not on the ev-cpo website yet when I found it on Tesla's site and reserved it. It showed up on ev-cpo the next day after I already had it reserved. That is why I only thought they updated the website a couple time.
I came across a bunch of these scraper sites. Seems they are a hit or miss. I was using this Tesla Inventory List - Find your next car scraper site , seems to work BUT some of the link don't work so its a hit or miss. You have to inject so many zip codes into the main Tesla site to get results I am surprised Tesla does not black the web crawlers all these scraper sites are using to index the inventory . Who would have thought its even a thing.

You have to inject so many zip codes into the main Tesla site to get results I am surprised Tesla does not black the web crawlers all these scraper sites are using to index the inventory

That's not true, there are ways around that, but they're not simple.

Who would have thought its even a thing.

If Tesla didn't severely hinder user searching/filtering/sorting features and options on their website, it wouldn't be a thing.

Reactions: erik_k
Can you share with me the VIN and when you reserved it? Because if you reserved it on Day A, there's no way it could have shown up as available on EV-CPO on Day B, as EV-CPO would have found it as sold on Day A and not listed it as available. I'd like to check the dates and logs to see what happened. Thanks.
yeah, I will send you a message with my VIN. Really surprised me when it happened.

yeah, I will send you a message with my VIN. Really surprised me when it happened.

Great, thanks. Here's what I found. EV-CPO found and added that car first on Fri, Apr 26, 2:31 AM:

Log entry: +++++++++ADD New CPO Model S 90D 5YJSA1E20GF142xxx to Baltimore, mo Price: $64900 Miles: 26531

And then it was marked as sold on Fri, Apr 26, 6:23 AM

Then it was reported again for sale with a $-5,700 price drop and sent out alert emails on Apr 27, 2019, 1:05 AM

And then it was marked as sold again on Fri, Apr 27, 11:23 PM

So I'm not sure why you didn't catch it on EV-CPO, but it was there for sure. It's likely that the car detail page was flipping between available for sale and sold (unavailable) during those days (common), so what EV-CPO reported didn't match up, or it detected the car as sold, when it was available, or even vise-versa. (i.e. it would have been listed in the archive on EV-CPO when in fact it is for sale). It's hard to tell for sure exactly what happened.

It's very common for the Inventory pages on Tesla's site (where you select search criteria) to be out of sync with cars that have actually been sold. I do wish the data source was more reliable, but it's all I have to work with.

edit: Of course Tesla's site will be the most accurate "source of record", and it's impossible for EV-CPO to track Tesla's site in real-time, without hammering the website for every possible link every minute (there could easily be thousands of calls I could make to mimic a 'real-time' system, but that's just not feasible nor fair to Tesla's website resources and staff.)

Reactions: Piano Wood
Great, thanks. Here's what I found. EV-CPO found and added that car first on Fri, Apr 26, 2:31 AM:

Log entry: +++++++++ADD New CPO Model S 90D 5YJSA1E20GF142xxx to Baltimore, mo Price: $64900 Miles: 26531

And then it was marked as sold on Fri, Apr 26, 6:23 AM

Then it was reported again for sale with a $-5,700 price drop and sent out alert emails on Apr 27, 2019, 1:05 AM

And then it was marked as sold again on Fri, Apr 27, 11:23 PM

So I'm not sure why you didn't catch it on EV-CPO, but it was there for sure. It's likely that the car detail page was flipping between available for sale and sold (unavailable) during those days (common), so what EV-CPO reported didn't match up, or it detected the car as sold, when it was available, or even vise-versa. (i.e. it would have been listed in the archive on EV-CPO when in fact it is for sale). It's hard to tell for sure exactly what happened.

It's very common for the Inventory pages on Tesla's site (where you select search criteria) to be out of sync with cars that have actually been sold. I do wish the data source was more reliable, but it's all I have to work with.

edit: Of course Tesla's site will be the most accurate "source of record", and it's impossible for EV-CPO to track Tesla's site in real-time, without hammering the website for every possible link every minute (there could easily be thousands of calls I could make to mimic a 'real-time' system, but that's just not feasible nor fair to Tesla's website resources and staff.)

It was on the sold page on ev-cpo when I looked. The site was really weird that day also so it might have been some changes Tesla was making. First thing in the morning when I found the car I initially checked ev-cpo and it pulled very few cars. I was worried Telsa was going to quit selling used cars so I jumped to there site were I was able to find the car. It was right around the time they said they were going to shutdown stores. Later that night I checked ev-cpo and they were still only set to (I think only) 402 total model s cars for sale. In the morning my wife talked me into reserving since we lost a couple waiting for them to drop price and looking at the historical data on ev-cpo it was the cheapest one in blue with those options.