Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like Elon agrees with Trump on Tariffs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

And THIS gets at the HEART of the matter. The US is not pleased with other countries (ahem China) using Canada and Mexico to bypass US trade regulations. I'm 100% certain that this is what the US will be negotiating HARD on in the NAFTA modifications. Not so much to dick over Canada or Mexico, but to make sure a potential loophole that China can use to bypass tariffs is kept closed.

Thanks for pointing that out, I almost forgot that.

EDIT - Canada and Mexico might not be too happy, because I'm sure there is revenue to be skimmed off the top here.

Reactions: SSedan and X Fan
And THIS gets at the HEART of the matter. The US is not pleased with other countries (ahem China) using Canada and Mexico to bypass US trade regulations. I'm 100% certain that this is what the US will be negotiating HARD on in the NAFTA modifications. Not so much to dick over Canada or Mexico, but to make sure a potential loophole that China can use to bypass tariffs is kept closed..

WRONG.

When you export goods from Canada to the USA, you have to identify the country of origin. The trade rules for Chinese goods apply to Chinese goods transshipped through Canada, including any tariffs etc. NAFTA does NOT apply.

We use a small amount of Chinese-made parts in our products. The vast majority of the parts we use are made in the USA and Canada. And yes, we have many American suppliers.

If you put tariffs on Canadian goods, Canada will retaliate with tariffs on US goods. Our cost of US parts will go up, and we will be very motivated to switch to Canadian suppliers wherever possible. It will cost US jobs.

WRONG.

When you export goods from Canada to the USA, you have to identify the country of origin. The trade rules for Chinese goods apply to Chinese goods transshipped through Canada, including any tariffs etc. NAFTA does NOT apply.

Oh, you are so cute in the naivete!

I sit on the advisory board of a logistics company. I know for FACT that Chinese companies forge those documents all the time, adjusting the country of origin, goods description, etc.

Sure, in a law-abiding world what you state is how things would work. But the Chinese don't follow other's laws all that well. If their self-interest is greater, then they break those laws. Been keeping up with the illegal opioid imports flooding the US from China? That's just the most recent example.

I sit on the advisory board of a logistics company. I know for FACT that Chinese companies forge those documents all the time, adjusting the country of origin, goods description, etc.

Well, then, that is smuggling. Your border services people should get off their butt and enforce the existing laws, rather than penalizing other countries that play by the rules.

Reactions: deonb
You must have missed the news flash. Canada and Mexico are exempt from the steel and aluminum Tariffs.
So long as they accept Trump's NAFTA revisions. Does that include "The Wall"? Does it include the US giving concessions to Canada to correct the "losses" Canada has in trade with teh US?

I find it refreshing that an American elected official would side with the US workers instead of the normal 'friends and family' game.

You can call the Prez John Smith if it takes the sting out of it.

We have been betrayed by rich and powerful in Congress who are out to enrichen themselves on the backs of the American Workers.

For now, all our work and personal vehicles are now Crumb powered. Do Crumbs emit GHG's?

As has been said, aluminum is created by electricity, and we are not subsidized. Hardly. Government mandates do not make electricity cheaper for businesses like they do in some countries.

Many of the high tech breakthroughs in aluminum metallurgy were American. And now we are paying the price.

As has been said, aluminum is created by electricity, and we are not subsidized. Hardly. Government mandates do not make electricity cheaper for businesses like they do in some countries.

Many of the high tech breakthroughs in aluminum metallurgy were American. And now we are paying the price.

For the record, electricity is not subsidized in Canada either. In fact it's downright expensive here in Ontario. It is cheaper in Quebec, but that's because they have enormous amounts of hydro power.

For the record, electricity is not subsidized in Canada either. In fact it's downright expensive here in Ontario. It is cheaper in Quebec, but that's because they have enormous amounts of hydro power.

Canada is not the target. China produces more aluminum by a factor of 10:1 than any other country.

Aluminum is a strategic material. Anyone really believe it's coincidence China has tried to monopolize industries that would advantageous in wartime while entering an arms race and making new territorial claims constantly?

Canada is not the target. China produces more aluminum by a factor of 10:1 than any other country.

Aluminum is a strategic material. Anyone really believe it's coincidence China has tried to monopolize industries that would advantageous in wartime while entering an arms race and making new territorial claims constantly?

Glad to hear China is the target. Certainly many of your government's actions and statements suggest that we are the target. Like Donald Trump just did in Pennsylvania.

Seriously? We have time-of-day rates; the peak rate is 13.2 cents per kWh - and that doesn't include any of the delivery charges, taxes, fixed monthly fees, etc., which add up.

Google says California rates are 17.97 cents per kWh. Higher, yes. 3X, no.

I paid .26/kWh in February, averaged. I produce 33% of our electricity. February has the lowest rates.

In the summer, when 'rates are highest, cough, cough', I paid .18/kWh average when I produced 0% of my electricity. I used 4 times the power in July as February, so the utility raised my February rates to compensate. The highest cost per kWh at our TOU/Demand tariff occurs at 6:00am. Not noon, not 5pm. They move the peak cost to the time that generates the highest profits for the utility. Southern California Edison.

Last edited:
Glad to hear China is the target. Certainly many of your government's actions and statements suggest that we are the target. Like Donald Trump just did in Pennsylvania.

Canada makes about 5% of the world's aluminum. China makes 54% of the world's aluminum and rising. They make it with coal fueled powerplants. China will crush the Canadian aluminum industry as well. Canada won't fight back. They haven't the clout or political will.

Seriously? We have time-of-day rates; the peak rate is 13.2 cents per kWh - and that doesn't include any of the delivery charges, taxes, fixed monthly fees, etc., which add up.

Google says California rates are 17.97 cents per kWh. Higher, yes. 3X, no.

SoCal = SDG&E

Our BASELINE rate is 23c/kWh, Tier 2 is 40c/kWh, and "High Usage" is 47c/kWh.

That's before factoring in the exchange rate difference between USD and CAD.

Follow up: rate schedules for SDG&E here:
Total Electric Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

The most commonly used schedules are:
Schedule DR (tiered, not time of use - this is going away come 2019)
Schedule TOU-DR

The rates for SDG&E are second highest in the nation, right behind Hawaii. This explains why SoCal has such a high penetration of solar installations, as well as one of the fastest growing install bases for battery backups.

I get my 3 powerwalls this week, cannot wait.