Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose third brake light. Rattle (Model S 2014)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I have a super annoying rattle in my Tesla coming from the rear hatch. Appears when driving on any uneven road. I'm 99% sure it's the center brake light (under the glass) that came loose in its shelf . Anyone had such an issue? Is there a chance to fix this without removing the rear glass?

That brake light assembly is located in your liftgate. So you'll need to remove the plastic trim cover on the inside to get to it.
I didn't have much luck in a quick search of a couple of forums. Plenty of Model 3 results, but not the same process.
The light assembly is one long piece of housing with the LED strip integrated into it. So replacement would be of the whole assembly.
Here's an example:

Looks like there is some sort of rubbery gasket-type seal around the outer edges. So I would make sure to clean the inner glass well after removing the bad light assembly, and make sure to get a replacement with that seal, or have something available to add to a new one without it.

Upvote 0