Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing interest in the Tesla Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may in fact be true that some people can't or won't deal with change very well. Tesla just better hope that their customers do because ya know.... they kind of need customers to have a sustainable business.

I think there has been plenty of proof that people like what tesla is doing, just look at the pre orders for M3 and how many were purchased online and/or without a test drive.

Tesla cannot be compared to a typical OEM. They do things different and will continue to make waves in the automotive world. Some people just cant or wont deal with change very well.
Tesla accomplished some great things, but what you just said is just an excuse. "Oh look, bumpers fall off the car when it rains!" - "that's ok, you can't compare Tesla to traditional cars where bumpers stay on" is just not going to cut it with customers who spend their money on the product.

Reactions: croman
I think there has been plenty of proof that people like what tesla is doing, just look at the pre orders for M3 and how many were purchased online and/or without a test drive.
Those pre-orders seem to have evaporated, or else you wouldn't be able to order one today with short delivery estimate (unless you think Tesla has already filled those 400,000 pre-orders, just not telling the world that they made that many cars).

When I bought my Model S P100D it was the pinnacle of the Model S. Q4 2016. They had leather interiors with ventilated seats and the glass roof had just been release. The innovations kept coming. From there they began to remove offerings and simplify there production of a very expensive and premium product. The next quarter they raised the price $10,000 on the performance model.

Now they have discounted everything, stripped the badging and made a bland product offering. Instead of being excited about what was to come I’m bored and worried about what’s next for the Model S. Though I intended to own my car for many years when I bought it, I liked to see the innovation.

I’m hoping Tesla returns to that once they get through this patch of gutting the company

I'm with you...I purchased every option available and there were many at the time to make my car my own and unique. Today they are cookie cutter cars with a few options that they pre-make them and store them in a lot and ship you one when you buy it. When I built mine in 10/2016 it was exciting watching the vehicle move along the production line through the delivery. They have so few options and colors that everyone's cars are pretty much the same and they seem to have lost that personalization factor..

Tesla accomplished some great things, but what you just said is just an excuse. "Oh look, bumpers fall off the car when it rains!" - "that's ok, you can't compare Tesla to traditional cars where bumpers stay on" is just not going to cut it with customers who spend their money on the product.

Does anyone know how many bumpers actually fell off? I'm not making any excuses for poor design or poor QC I'm just a little more understanding or forgiving for these type of issues. Do you expect perfection? If you do then your not living in reality. Name one car company that has ever sold a perfect car.

Reactions: brkaus
Yes, but you have to agree it is more imminent NOW than it was years ago! :p

My money is they have an impending Model S refresh and the price change was so that no one who bought the car just before can whine.

Well, they can still whine but then they will be told they got special pricing.

Based on what they have been leaking a model S refresh is going to be more like a bigger model 3 and I don't want that minimalist look. I want to feel like I am in a 100k car not a $30k car,

Exclusive first look at Tesla Model S and Model X interior refresh: going spartan like Model 3

I am looking at the new Porsche Taycan as my possible next vehicle..

Does anyone know how many bumpers actually fell off? I'm not making any excuses for poor design or poor QC I'm just a little more understanding or forgiving for these type of issues. Do you expect perfection? If you do then your not living in reality. Name one car company that has ever sold a perfect car.
Wait, so now you say to compare to a typical OEM? Couple of posts earlier you said Tesla can't be compared to typical OEM's. :p

Seriously though, of course nobody should expect perfection. I've been driving Tesla's since 2013. I knew going in I'm signing up to be an early adopter. Tesla service has always been stellar for me, they fixed everything and went above and beyond. When I got one for my wife in 2017 I expected they figured out how to make a Model S, turns out no, still an early adopter car which required service on delivery day (an issue which took a 3 subsequent visits and 4 months to fix - not at all due to service, but due to Tesla corporate making changes in the design and shipping unreliable parts). So, the biggest problem Tesla has is that they keep producing early adopter cars, but now they've scaled their production beyond the level at which they can reliably support all those early adopters. They have other problems I won't go into in this post, but their biggest is trying to sell early adopter cars in large quantities - it's simply unsustainable.

To give you a comparable example from a "traditional OEM". I bough a $50K Lexus a while back. It had weird Bluetooth noise whenever using my phone. They confirmed that the noise also appeared with their "approved" phone and tried to fix it, while giving me a brand new Lexus to drive. They couldn't fix it, so they ordered a new infotainment. It came in 2 days later, so I went back, again got the same brand new car (same as mine, but not hybrid) and they changed it out. Unfortunately new infotainment didn't fix it, so they scheduled a 3rd visit. When I went there, got the new loaner again (this time a hybrid, so identical to mine), they also told me that if they can't fix it now I'll get a new car because if they can't fix it in 3 tries it falls under lemon law. Because of this they told me they'll keep the car for up to a week. They returned it 2 days later - problem fixed. On another occasion when speaking with one of their top diagnostic guys during a service visit, he remembered me, he told me the rest of the story - Toyota (Lexus) had some engineer in Japan on his way to Seattle to come help fix this. They found a bent ground pin in one the the harnesses and called off the guy from Japan while he was already at the airport. That was the only problem I had with that car in 8 years of ownership btw. So not perfect, but great experience. Tesla used to be also great (though didn't offer us a new car when they couldn't fix the folding mirror for 4 months, even though it was broken at delivery time), but now I can't even get an appointment for a month, and having gone through an accident, have to tell you, waits are incredibly long compared to traditional OEMs.

Last edited:
Tesla cannot be compared to a typical OEM. They do things different and will continue to make waves in the automotive world. Some people just cant or wont deal with change very well.

I get that Tesla has done some amazing things pushing EVs forward. At the end of the day, a 6 figure car is a luxury vehicle. Battery technology, autonomous driving, over the air updates are the things that appeal to me. But the overall quality of the car is so poor. I sat in a Panamera yesterday and it was miles ahead in quality, finish, and really nice features. My first thought was, "Why doesn't my Tesla have this?"

They do things differently. I don't think its an issues with not dealing with change for myself. I am tired of the poor quality build, poor after sales customer service. They will just be churning out cookie cutter vehicles and I've lost passion for the brand. Can't wait for my lease to end so I can get back into a quality vehicle with a brand that respects its customers after the purchase.

You do know the preorders were over 2 years ago right? LOL. The pricing fiasco just happened.

Yes I do know when the pre orders were placed. Yes the pricing fiasco (if thats what you want to call it) just happened. There will alwasy be people who whine or are unhappy or just like to stir the pot. What I dont get is why dont people just move on and be done with Tesla if you are really that unhappy with the brand.

And how many customers would you say Tesla has screwed? They must be doing something right for people to buy there cars.
I can tell you why I bought 4 of them - EV drivetrain driving: instant power, smooth, quiet. Handling is great with the plus suspension too, not as crazy about standard SAS (my wife has one) but it's ok. At first I also wanted to support Elon and his effort by buying his product, but since then got tired of paying for things which don't get delivered, having updates which break things and make experience worse. Unless something changes (something being better design, quality, and most importantly service and parts availability), I won't be buying another one. Oh, and I do feel screwed on my 691hp car, which it took Tesla forever to admit will my car would need a 50% power boost to achieve that, and a few other features like blind spot monitoring.

So to answer you more specifically, the reason for people buying their cars is no competition in the EV market, which is about to change. Not only that, existing owners are holding onto their vehicles until then too, rather than upgrading. I suspect Tesla is running out of customers fast, and once there are a few alternatives, even faster.

Last edited:
Yes I do know when the pre orders were placed. Yes the pricing fiasco (if thats what you want to call it) just happened. There will alwasy be people who whine or are unhappy or just like to stir the pot. What I dont get is why dont people just move on and be done with Tesla if you are really that unhappy with the brand.

People don’t just move on because the pricing fiasco JUST HAPPENED! Give us a minute. I’m not selling my car today because of this (and beacause of the overnight significant Tesla induced depreciation). I’m just unlikely to buy another and will express that sentiment to others. They did this move for a short term gain. And they’ll get it. Just at the expense of the long term.....

People don’t just move on because the pricing fiasco JUST HAPPENED! Give us a minute. I’m not selling my car today because of this (and beacause of the overnight significant Tesla induced depreciation). I’m just unlikely to buy another and will express that sentiment to others. They did this move for a short term gain. And they’ll get it. Just at the expense of the long term.....

I'm not following your logic.

Every car manufacturer regularly offer discounts to move their models that are about to be refreshed and replaced and I bet this is what is on the horizon. So you bought your car a while ago and got to enjoy Tesla's latest and greatest. The price reduction now is for people who are buying now just prior to an impending update...

I'm the first to admit when Tesla has done something they should not have but in this case I don't see what the big deal is. Are they supposed to sell a Model S for $145K and the next day offer the updated much more desirable Model S? This way the person who just bought a Model S before a major refresh at least got a discount and it's the only fair thing to do...

Reactions: cablue