Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing Power while parked for 10 hours or more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go to work I am at 69 percent I drive a truck for a living about 11 hours a day. When I get back my battery Level is at 54 percent were am I losing the power is this normal I thought I had the car set up properly I must be missing something any help would be great.

There's a few things that could be going on. Sentry mode is the biggest user of battery, something like 1-2 miles per hour.

Next is "smart summon ready" in the smart summon menu. Turn that off to save a bit of power, not much.

Cabin overheat protection will use a good amount of power if it's warm outside.

If you have something like teslafi, that can also keep your car from sleeping.

And finally, with everything off, pretty normal for your car to use a few miles a day depending on weather.

Let me know if you find anything to turn off!

Reactions: puckpurnell
I am in Sentry mode I don't have smart summon I keep my cabin protection at 73 maybe a bit higher will help, don't know what teslafi is I will try turning these figures off to night to see if there's a difference. Thanks for the fast reply

I am in Sentry mode I don't have smart summon I keep my cabin protection at 73 maybe a bit higher will help, don't know what teslafi is I will try turning these figures off to night to see if there's a difference. Thanks for the fast reply

Cabin Overheat Protection is a bespoke setting that maintains the interior of the car at 100F when set to "ON." If you're manually setting the climate control to 73F while you're at work for 11 hours, either through Keep Climate On or through the app, that explains why you're using so much energy while parked. Cabin Overheat Protection by itself should not be using that much energy. Parking in the shade will save a lot of energy, as well.

Sentry on alone uses 300 watts. Many posts on this but as Sentry was an "after-thought" due to all the breakins in Cali they enabled it as a feature. It won't let the car sleep and uses the onboard computer. That will drain power for sure combined with Keep Climate On.

There's a few things that could be going on. Sentry mode is the biggest user of battery, something like 1-2 miles per hour.

Next is "smart summon ready" in the smart summon menu. Turn that off to save a bit of power, not much.

And finally, with everything off, pretty normal for your car to use a few miles a day depending on weather.

For people not using Sentry mode, the biggest killer is Summon Standby, especially since that is on by default.

Unless you are an active user of Smart Summon, dig into the menus and disable Summon Standby immediately.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla

Don't forget if he's checking the Tesla app all day or not.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla

That's crazy. Keeping your climate on set to 73 will use a lot of power. Imaging running your climate all day in an ICE car, keeping the engine running. Wow, that will burn through gas also.

When I go to work I am at 69 percent I drive a truck for a living about 11 hours a day. When I get back my battery Level is at 54 percent were am I losing the power is this normal I thought I had the car set up properly I must be missing something any help would be great.
you are not telling us how hot is it outside.

hotter it is, the more the fans will run to keep the car cool

Well he states his location as florida so I'm guessing it is pretty hot. Every time I walk by my car during the day it seems like there is some fan(s) running.
Yeah I noticed that as well. I need to be sure.
When I'm at my relatives place (desert area)

my car
just sitting there
after 5-6 hours
loses 3% battery life (and that's the long range model)

Doing nothing but running the fans

Last edited:
You keep your AC at 73 all day? Definitely don't do that. You can keep cabin overheat protection on. Your car will still reach 105-120F, but that's totally normal. With it off, car can easily reach 150F+. Again, it's normal, we've just never had cars where we could check that temp on our phone.

Thanks for all your help I was able to get my my power loss to 1% last night. Took all your suggestions turned off Sentry mode turn off ac cab air and it worked great use only 1% were before I was using 10% new to this stuff. Didn't want any problems with my onboard computer systems. Will keep the cabin overheat protection on because it dose get very hot at time down here in Florida.