Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost Keys Cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if an appointment would be required at a Tesla service center to activate new key cards? I have the keycards on hand but require the service center to activate them. Lesson learned, don’t lose your keycards.

Does anyone know if an appointment would be required at a Tesla service center to activate new key cards? I have the keycards on hand but require the service center to activate them. Lesson learned, don’t lose your keycards.
If you dont have even one of the original keycards, then yes you need to have the SC program them. If you have even 1 of the originals, then no. Pretty much all modern cars need to have a key programmed by the respective service center for the brand. The difference with Tesla is that if you have even one original keycard you can program the rest yourself, none of the other brands are like that that I am aware of.

So, if your warning is "dont lose ALL of your keycards" then yes, thats a good warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: calidreamz808
I never even realized we could do that! So we could simply purchase a "SPARE" and keep that somewhere and if for some odd reason we both lost or had our cards stolen we would have a backup....am I correct in that assumption?

We have 4 keycards, because 2 came with each vehicle. You can also pair 1 keycard to more than one car, so my wife and I have our phones as primary for each of our cars, and 1 keycard each that can access both cars (so she has one that can open both cars, and so do I) and we have 2 other keycards locked in our file cabinet that can also open each car.

Reactions: XPsionic
If you dont have even one of the original keycards, then yes you need to have the SC program them. If you have even 1 of the originals, then no. Pretty much all modern cars need to have a key programmed by the respective service center for the brand. The difference with Tesla is that if you have even one original keycard you can program the rest yourself, none of the other brands are like that that I am aware of.

Ford and/or GM have a way to replace the set of recognized key fobs if you have two currently recognized fobs. They may also have a way to replace them if you have only one currently recognized key fob, but it is intentionally time consuming and inconvenient to make it a hassle for anyone temporarily using the car (e.g. a valet). However, there is no way (at least without a scan tool) to see how many key fobs are currently recognized by the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If we do lose a keycard, is there a way to deactivate an older one? Should I be worried about that keycard "being out there" and able to run our car?
If you go to the car menu and then the locks submenu, it will show all existing keys that the car recognizes. They have trash can buttons that are presumably used to derecognize them.

You can also set a PIN to drive if you are concerned about keys being lost or stolen without you knowing about them being lost or stolen.

If you go to the car menu and then the locks submenu, it will show all existing keys that the car recognizes. They have trash can buttons that are presumably used to derecognize them.

You can also set a PIN to drive if you are concerned about keys being lost or stolen without you knowing about them being lost or stolen.
And while you're there in the Locks menu, be sure that you identify each one of your cards and assign a name to them (use the Pencil icon). That way you'll know which one to delete when the time comes. If you don't already know which each one of them is, then use the card to open/start the car and the date will be updated in the display. Note that I'm still on a 2022 software release and that the menu shown below may be slightly different.
1696271735539.png

Reactions: fsb1