Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of Rattles and Creaks in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I know this is probably posted a lot, and I’ve looked around but haven’t found a definitive answer on my questions about some rattles and creaks. I’ve brought my 3 to a SC 3 times regarding the creaks and each time I haven’t had much success in getting them fixed.

My first rattle/creak seems to be coming from my driver side window. This one is sorta temperature based, happens when it’s colder (55 degrees or colder) but I mostly hear it when doing turns or hitting even minor bumps on the road. If I bring the window down just a smidge, the noise goes away completely. I am unsure if this is the chrome piece, or the window itself, bringing it into the SC they said they applied some kind of grease to calm the rattling. It worked for maybe a week then it was back.

My second is in the driver side seatbelt well (I think that’s what it’s called?). This happens during colder weather, and it being right up in my ear it’s bothersome. I’ve tried bringing down the level as well as pressing inside the seatbelt to see if I can get it to stop, but to no avail.

Another rattle I’m having is my front passenger side speaker. At certain frequencies it sounds like it might be the grille covering the speaker is vibrating or something. SC said they wouldn’t look into it because they don’t want to take apart vehicles unless absolutely necessary.

I definitely love this car, and want to drive it for years to come. Not sure if it’s because it’s extremely quiet, but rattles being my pet peeve in cars this is driving me kinda crazy.

Thanks for the advice!

Mine has always had the window creak too, I believe it is the glass against the rubber seal around the top of the doorframe. I get a kind of residue on the glass from the rubber. Cleaning this off seems to effect a cure for a while. Rubbing silicone into the rubber seal may also help, but will of course tend to leave a greasy residue on the glass.

I suggest the seatbelt-related rattle could be something to do with the swivel height adjust mechanism. Perhaps add some strategic felt there. I’m sure the local craft store wonders why I keep buying self-adhesive felt squares, and only ever in black... I doubt that they’d ever guess it was because I bought an expensive new car :)

-Alex

@Teryaki - I see it was your first post, so Welcome to the forums !

I took delivery in Dec 2018 and my driver's side window just started to rattle on rough roads. It is annoying since the rattle noise is so close to my ear. I'll try the silicone on the door seals and see how it goes...