Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle on new Model X FWD, wear observed on door latch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a 2023 MX LR. Everything looked great on delivery, but on its first highway trip, I noticed a rattle coming from the driver's side FWD. It sounded pretty substantial. Less of the light rattle and creaks I was used to getting with my old MS and more like an entire body panel getting knocked around. Nothing immediately obvious. Door is still closing flush with the car. No trim pieces missing or loose. The only thing I could find is a surprising amount of wear on the latch, esp. when compared to the passesnger-side door, which is operating normally. Is this an alignment issue? Something more serious? :/

Attaching both door latch photos for comparison.

passenger-side-FWD-good.JPG
drivers-side-FWD-rattling.JPG

Is outer edge of door aligned with the rest of the body? (especially near the bottom of the door)
- If yes, then the problem is the latch mechanism has to be adjusted - I would have Tesla service do that.
- If no, (door is sitting further into body than the front door and the back apron) then try adjusting the two bumper stops that are on the door (you just use your fingers to turn them counter-clockwise to make them stop the door further away from the body. These adjustments work if the door is only off by 1/8" or less... if the alignment is way off, then Tesla service has to get involved. Optional: Use the envelope trick to see how hard the bumper is pressing against the body after adjustment.

Reactions: jiehan
Just took a close look at the alignment of the doors. Nothing stands out. However, I did find a trim piece on the top of the door that's loose, too. It sits flush against the door, but it moves freely. Are those clips broken? I can't figure out how it's supposed to connect back to the body.

mx trim piece.png