Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattles driving me insane, please help my sanity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ‘23 MY and recently over winter the following rattles have developed that are driving me bonkers

1. driver window, I have to have the window cracked for it to stop which in winter isn’t bueno, how can I tell it’s the window? If I open it and put my fingers out a bit to take the window away from the rubber trim or the window is fully open, there’s no rattling. Tesla said they don’t hear but that’s their goto statement. I have taken the trim off and added more felt to the driver seat belt already which fixed that issue but this one persists

2. Hatch rattle, it sounds like a freaking tin can

3. Rattle near front windshield, it’s like a faint tapping noise but once you hear it you can’t unhear it, I’ve been able to reduce the noise by turning on windshield vent, but I find it increases the battery usage

I had a passenger door rattle from the moment I picked up the car and it seemed worse when the window was closed. I finally banged all over the door panel with the side of my fist and it must have tightened the clips cause that's gone now. The cabin camera housing rattle is one of the most common. Maybe that's what you're seeing? Search on it. The hatch... maybe you can tight that up by adjusting the rubber bumpers. Search on that too. Being such a quiet car has it's disadvantages.... you hear every pin drop.

I had a passenger door rattle from the moment I picked up the car and it seemed worse when the window was closed. I finally banged all over the door panel with the side of my fist and it must have tightened the clips cause that's gone now. The cabin camera housing rattle is one of the most common. Maybe that's what you're seeing? Search on it. The hatch... maybe you can tight that up by adjusting the rubber bumpers. Search on that too. Being such a quiet car has its disadvantages.... you hear every pin drop.
I fixed the camera housing rattle already, this sound is definitely coming from the lower dash deck area near the windshield. I tried poking around the frunk cowel and the front speaker cover but no go on both of those

I have a 2018 C300 with over 100k km that doesn’t have a single rattle, it’s Tesla build quality that’s pure *sugar*

Last edited:
it’s Tesla build quality that’s pure *sugar*
I don't disagree with this statement at all. I see all kind of articles about how stiff the chassis is and how the casting has improved that and how it's one of the safest on the road but this MY does not inspire confidence at high speeds. Feels like the parts were constructed with high tolerances.

I don't disagree with this statement at all. I see all kind of articles about how stiff the chassis is and how the casting has improved that and how it's one of the safest on the road but this MY does not inspire confidence at high speeds. Feels like the parts were constructed with high tolerances.
Ugh the chassis and suspension is so stiff in the cold, it’s making my backseat passengers car sick if there’s any uneven surface, also at night I feel bad for people as my headlights are just bouncing

There are rubber dampers on the trunk that turn like screws. They are not calibrated well from the factory. You can place a piece of printer paper where they meet, close the trunk, and you shouldn’t be able to pull out the paper (or it should be difficult). You can play with them a few times to get them all tight. I believe there are 4. I had the same rattle issue going over bumps when I got mine and this solved it. Though it could be a few other things but this is worth a shot

Yeah, most of the rattles are assembly issues, which is a shame. Makes the overall car feel like it is of a lesser quality. If it shipped with the hatch-stops adjusted correctly, a lot of people wouldn't have any rattles at all. The stops are usually screwed in all the way from the factory and not even used.

1. Clean the rubber seals and the inside of the window then apply some gummi pflege to the rubber seals and allow to dry before closing the door - it silenced my window rattles;
2. Same again with the gummi pflege around the hatch seal but also adjust the bump stops as others have suggested;
3. Can’t help with that one I’m afraid.

Good luck!

I have a rattle inside the passenger door panel when driving over rough bumps. It's not consistent and I know if I bring it into service, they will not "replicate" the rattle. I have yet to try to take my door panel apart. At first I thought it was my wife's sunglasses in the door storage pocket rattling. But I took everything out and it still made the same noise.

I have a rattle inside the passenger door panel when driving over rough bumps. It's not consistent and I know if I bring it into service, they will not "replicate" the rattle. I have yet to try to take my door panel apart. At first I thought it was my wife's sunglasses in the door storage pocket rattling. But I took everything out and it still made the same noise.

Yeah I have a similar one coming from the passenger side area. It's not really a heavy rattle but more of a ticking type noise, but it's for sure coming from that side of the car. The car is so stiff that EVERYTHING will rattle, even water bottles in the cup holders, or in the door pocket, or anything not tied down will tend to vibrate and be a potential cause of (additional) noises and rattles. Overall my car is not too bad but I also notice the plastics tend to get stiffer in the cold and the car can rattle more in the colder weather.

Yeah I have a similar one coming from the passenger side area. It's not really a heavy rattle but more of a ticking type noise, but it's for sure coming from that side of the car. The car is so stiff that EVERYTHING will rattle, even water bottles in the cup holders, or in the door pocket, or anything not tied down will tend to vibrate and be a potential cause of (additional) noises and rattles. Overall my car is not too bad but I also notice the plastics tend to get stiffer in the cold and the car can rattle more in the colder weather.
Mine actually sounds like a rattlecan. I am starting to develop a ticking sound coming from the hatch area though. I've only heard it twice, so will see if it persists.

So update I scheduled Tesla service and surprised they came back with a $0 estimate which I was shocked, however it’s 2 weeks away

The hatch rattle I can describe it more like styrofoam rubbing together, I’ll give the rubber stops another try but they were adjusted in the first 7 day period

Also now the top glass is rattling, I’m ready to drive this thing into a lake

Is anyone aware of how to disassemble the dash? I’ve seen videos on changing the coloured piece but I’d like to potentially take the top dash piece off that’s between the speaker cover and the trim and apply some felt tape to everything but I can’t find any sources related to it or if it’s even a possibility

There are rubber dampers on the trunk that turn like screws. They are not calibrated well from the factory. You can place a piece of printer paper where they meet, close the trunk, and you shouldn’t be able to pull out the paper (or it should be difficult). You can play with them a few times to get them all tight. I believe there are 4. I had the same rattle issue going over bumps when I got mine and this solved it. Though it could be a few other things but this is worth a shot

Yeah, most of the rattles are assembly issues, which is a shame. Makes the overall car feel like it is of a lesser quality. If it shipped with the hatch-stops adjusted correctly, a lot of people wouldn't have any rattles at all. The stops are usually screwed in all the way from the factory and not even used.

For fun I checked the stops and what do you know the driver side backed itself all the way in

Driving today I was amazed at how much the hatch impacts the rest of the vehicle for such a small play, most of the rattles are now resolved… wtf Tesla

When I say small play, there was a bit of resistance pulling the paper out but the other sides were tearing it, adjusted to similar and wow

I have ‘23 MY and recently over winter the following rattles have developed that are driving me bonkers

1. driver window, I have to have the window cracked for it to stop which in winter isn’t bueno, how can I tell it’s the window? If I open it and put my fingers out a bit to take the window away from the rubber trim or the window is fully open, there’s no rattling. Tesla said they don’t hear but that’s their goto statement. I have taken the trim off and added more felt to the driver seat belt already which fixed that issue but this one persists

2. Hatch rattle, it sounds like a freaking tin can

3. Rattle near front windshield, it’s like a faint tapping noise but once you hear it you can’t unhear it, I’ve been able to reduce the noise by turning on windshield vent, but I find it increases the battery usage
Regarding three, I had a similar issue. The cover for the HEPA filter under the hood was the issue. Most of the plastic clips weren’t secured. I also put rubber foam under between the clips and the cover to help stop the rattle.

Reactions: DarrenHD
ok so I've taken my ModelY 2023 to the dealership six times for rattling noises all around the back cabin, back doors, etc. The first five times they delivered the car exactly as it was before (none of the noises were fixed), last time I took the time to complain a lot so they gave me a loaner and kept the car for almost a week, now the worst noise is fixed but when driving in rough roads you can hear multiple pieces inside of the car like if they weren't adjusted. Do you guys just quick asking the dealership to fix things and do it on your own? What would you recommend me here, I've been trying to be very patient with them but driving a new car with a bunch of rattling noises is just not right, and it seems they just don't know enough on how to fix everything in one time, I would prefer them to keep the car as long as they need to until the fix everything but their service is everything but common sense like.

I just deal with the noises tbh… there’s some rattling but since it comes and goes based on various conditions I don’t have anything concrete to push them on. I’ve even had the fan squeal a couple of times, but even with a video, if it doesn’t happen when they’re testing then they don’t follow up on it.

A lot of it seems to change based on temperature, humidity, whether it’s sunny or not and how much the car has been recently driven.

Reactions: DarrenHD