Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low coolant. Ok to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
This message appeared once yesterday on our 2021 AWD (Only 12K mikes). Today it did not show up again when we went out.
Two questions please:
* Should it appear again every time we drive?
* Is it safe to drive until it’s checked by SC?
Thanks!

Hi all,
This message appeared once yesterday on our 2021 AWD (Only 12K mikes). Today it did not show up again when we went out.
Two questions please:
* Should it appear again every time we drive?
* Is it safe to drive until it’s checked by SC?
Thanks!
Check the overflow reservoir for the coolant to see if this is low. The coolant reservoir is located close to the windshield by the firewall on the passenger side. You need open the frunk and pull off the plastic shroud cover to access the reservoir. Check for signs of a coolant leak underneath the vehicle. The coolant is blue in color and slippery when rubbed between two fingers. If the coolant level in the overflow tank is low or not visible I would assume you have a significant coolant leak. I would not recommend driving the vehicle. Contact Tesla Roadside Assistance and see if they advise having the Tesla Model Y towed on a flatbed to the Tesla Service Center. Roadside Assistance will handle this if needed.

Just to pile on, my 2013 MS P85 had coolant low message show up anytime I drove *uphill*. While awaiting SC appt the msg would come on/off occasionally driving on level ground but just at high speeds, or again when pointed uphill, then going away when reaching level ground. Needless to say, I drove a fair amount of miles with this intermittent message coming on/off without apparent issue.
So, SC topped me off w/coolant, but then a day or so later I notice fluid leaking under my car (it does not evaporate quickly, so not AC condensate). Another appt set for SC this weekend... Online research shows either leak at reservoir, rodents eating lines (or just age), bad valve(s), or maybe even damage to radiator...though cooling system is fairly extensive, so time will really tell. But my low coolant message went away after coolant was added. I'd have added it myself, but apparently any risk of contamination in coolant reservoir is a big deal, so did not risk it. Still love my car after many relatively maintenance care-free years.