Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low quality grid detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to share my experience with the line fault in my model 3 power conversion system.
I used to charge my Model 3 at 48A with my Tesla wall charger(100A breaker). The wall charger was installed by certified electrician. One day, charge rate suddenly dropped down to 32A.

After further investigation at the Tesla Service Center, the service rep. told me my "Long Range" model 3 has 3 phases in the power conversion system. Each phase is 16A. Apparently, one of them has line fault. Thus, I got only 32A.

Mobile charger can only go up to 32A??? so he said it won't affect mobile charger.

After Tesla service center replace my Power Conversion System and flush the coolant, I am able to charge the car at 48A with my Tesla Wall Charger with that "Low quality grid detected" / "Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again" messages.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
I just want to share my experience with the line fault in my model 3 power conversion system.
I used to charge my Model 3 at 48A with my Tesla wall charger(100A breaker). The wall charger was installed by certified electrician. One day, charge rate suddenly dropped down to 32A.

After further investigation at the Tesla Service Center, the service rep. told me my "Long Range" model 3 has 3 phases in the power conversion system. Each phase is 16A. Apparently, one of them has line fault. Thus, I got only 32A.

Mobile charger can only go up to 32A??? so he said it won't affect mobile charger.

After Tesla service center replace my Power Conversion System and flush the coolant, I am able to charge the car at 48A with my Tesla Wall Charger WITHOUT that "Low quality grid detected" / "Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again" messages.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, typo. c/with/WITHOUT

The latest mobile charge cable only charges at 32a max, even when plugged into a 50a outlet.

What does the voltage show on the charge screen when you're receiving that message (while charging)? If it's above 240 then I'd guess there is an issue with the repair, otherwise there could be an issue with the wiring to/in the wall charger.

Another thing to consider is if you need to charge at that rate daily. It might help prevent issues with the power conversion system to lower it a bit. What percent of the battery do you use each day?

After Tesla service center replace my Power Conversion System and flush the coolant, I am able to charge the car at 48A with my Tesla Wall Charger with that "Low quality grid detected" / "Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again" messages.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, three 16a charging modules makes sense. Here in the US all are operated in parallel and so they operate across the same two hot wires. Obviously if one is broken you don't get the full 48a available of charging rate. In Europe they use different charge port connectors and the three chargers run from three separate phases if you connect the car to a three phase source.

Thanks for reporting this! I had not heard of a charger module failure reported here in a M3 yet. Good to know that it can work partially at the reduced rate while waiting for repair.

Reactions: Big Earl