Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile charger amps reduced to 16 (from 32) from heat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2023 Model 3 Performance and charge at home occasionally when I can't fill up at work. I had a professional electrician I found via Tesla's website install the receptacle and run the wiring in our garage. He suggested using the NEMA 6-50 over the 14-50 mostly due to cost and it charges just as fast, so I considered it a win-win.

Last weekend I was charging at home and just so happened to notice that it was charging at 16a opposed to the typical 32a and I couldn't change it back to 32. I went out to the car and saw a message on the screen about the charger overheating. The plug for the charger was slightly unseated (maybe 3-4mm away from the faceplate), but nothing that I would have ever assumed would cause a problem.

I unplugged the car and the charger and re-plugged everything back in and it went right back to 32a and haven't seen the issue come back yet. So with that said, I'm wondering if I should be alarmed by this behavior? or is this a common issue? I've owned my Tesla for just about a year so far, so still a noobie

So with that said, I'm wondering if I should be alarmed by this behavior? or is this a common issue?
It can be very common if you're doing what I think you're doing. I'm guessing this is just hanging by the outlet and the electronics box is not supported by anything, right? So the weight of it pulling down is always directly pulling that connection apart. So yes, that's what happens to a lot of people if they don't mount or support that box somehow so that its weight isn't constantly trying to pull that connection apart.

That is why they sell this handy little bracket to mount onto the wall so the box has something to rest in, instead of pulling down by its weight.

It can be very common if you're doing what I think you're doing. I'm guessing this is just hanging by the outlet and the electronics box is not supported by anything, right? So the weight of it pulling down is always directly pulling that connection apart. So yes, that's what happens to a lot of people if they don't mount or support that box somehow so that its weight isn't constantly trying to pull that connection apart.

That is why they sell this handy little bracket to mount onto the wall so the box has something to rest in, instead of pulling down by its weight.

yup, you nailed it.

I actually have a box like that but didn't mount it (yet). Guess I know what's happening this weekend.

I'm still amazed that such a small gap could cause that resistance, but I can't deny the proof. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Also check that the receptacle has full size contacts to the plug blades. A receptacle with half size contacts will have more resistance and heat production to begin with, and may be more prone to plug loosening as discussed above.
Thanks for the information! This is something I didn't even know existed.

This whole experience has me wanting to just swap the receptacle with an actual wall charger that's hard wired. I'm thankful that the mobile charger could sense the heat and reduce amps to prevent a fire, but still concerning. Thanks again for all the feedback.