Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowest Percent arriving home / destination to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I think I made my first (at least remembered) super low battery at 1% & 2 miles left.

I went snowboarding to Mountain High and I forgot to charge my car so I was at around 70% before I left. It's 80 miles each way. It was a little cold so it may have taken some battery percent away at the mountain. But when it was finally time to head back home, I was around 21% battery for an 80 mile trip back home and the car predicted that I have 4-5% battery left when I get home. I think I had 3% left when I got to my final exit and my home was less than a mile away, like another few minutes left. But I decided to get Del Taco which was nearby, and I calculated to be sure it was within the miles indicated on the screen.

But after Del Taco, after everything the car was at 1% & 2 miles left. And it gave me a "very low battery" warning. That was the most extreme I taken my car. It seems you can trust the car if it says you will make it back with less than 5% as long as you don't make any outta the way pitstops. Some parts of the trip, it said "stay under 70 to reach destination". But after I got closer to my home, those warnings went away even though I went around 80 mph (above its earlier warning limit).

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Mileage remaining is calculated from previous driving experience. It did not know you would be driving 80 mph or stopping at a drive through on a cold evening to grab a meal.

It is normally pretty accurate, but when cutting it close you need to drive conservatively.

Your trip down the mile high mountain and using regeneration probably was instrumental in getting you home on that meager charge.

Last evening we drove from Minneapolis, MN to Wausau, WI going from 95% to 0% (SMT said we had 2%) over 171 miles in 17F weather. We should have either topped up to 100% or stopped in Eau Claire, but Eau Claire is 12 miles longer and 15 minutes longer. We drove the last60 we drove at 60, then the last 20 miles at 55 in a 65, but it was midnight and no one else out on the highway.