Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Joe, what can you recommend?

I just purchased new rims and the stock lug nuts are too wide so I need something narrow.

Perhaps these? Amazon.com: JDMSPEED New Black 20PCS 14X1.5MM 60MM Extended Forged Aluminum Tuner Racing Lug Nut: Automotive

Could I go as far as replacing the studs to Titanium and then use the Titanium lug nuts?

I don't recommend aluminum lung nuts, especially on a heavy car like the Model S.

Take a look at the Gorilla small diameter lug nuts here:

Gorilla Automotive Products

The 14mmx1.5 Duplex lug nut 20-pack, part # 26103HT, may fit the bill. You will also need one of the 1378SD keys or wrench to use on these, available on this page:

Gorilla Automotive Products

If the Duplex lug nut is too long (2.00"), it's also available in a short version at 1.4", but depending on your wheels, these might not seat on the cone face but instead seat on the stud -- don't use them if that's the case. Those short ones aren't displayed on Gorilla's site, you'll need to call them to get the part number.

Reactions: Letin and Russell
Thank you for your help.

Looks like my next step is to put the wheels on the car and then measure the stud length.

Yep. You can calculate the protruding stud length pretty easily by threading a deep lug nut on and counting the number of turns it takes to seat at 129 ft-lbs. Multiply the total number of turns by 1.5 (the thread pitch in mm) and this will be the total distance in mm that the stud protrudes inside the lug nut. Remove the deep lug nut and then measure the internal clearance of the questionable lug nut with calipers and compare the two measurements.

See this post in the wheel locks thread for how I did this to measure internal clearance of various locking lug nuts.

Hey Mike. I just put 19 winters (slipstream rim) on. I had 21 summers previously. The SC used the same lug nuts but now the lug nuts stick out more than they did on the 21. Did you experience this too?
I just replaced my old Twin-Spoke winters with Slipstreams and am having the same problem. Did switching to the new style open-end Tesla lug nuts fix the issue for you?

The lug covers look great with my 21" Turbines but rather bad on my new Slipstreams.