Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Ap3 not as good as my Ap2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Have a 2018 Mx Ap2.5 and a M3 With 3.0. The M3 clearly cannot track cars in front of it on the highway without continually slowing and speeding up in random fashion. Drive the X today, much smoother following the car's on the highway. Hope they can figure this out driving the m3 on auto pilot if I'm following a vehicle is almost annoying. Anyone else have this issue on their m3? 2019.28.3.1

Interesting! I have an AP2.0 MX and M3 with AP2.5. The X is not as smooth as the 3 and often thinks a car is coming in my lane when it’s just in the line and slows down. Rarely have that happen on the 3. Both to me are about equivalent in tracking cars ahead.

well we have a AP3 Model 3 (June 2019 build + based on some of the 3.0 versions I've received) and a 2.5 Model 3 (2018 build) in the family - the newer one gets a lot more phantom braking and is not as smooth on autopilot - (honestly, subtle differences) - I figure the 3.0 is probably going to have the superior experience eventually but we definitely notice the [subtle] differences.

My wife and I have essentially stopped using AutoPilot because of jerky braking, slow acceleration, and late or awkward lane changes. It's more comfortable, and less stressful to drive the car ourselves. Thus far, for us, AutoPilot and particularly the $6,000 upgrade to FSD is a waste of money.

I have HW3 also and I have said before I believe it is INFERIOR at this time because the code is written for AP2.5 which is a different architecture. I bet HW3 is emulating HW2.5 and this is almost always inferior. Until we get code written specifically for HW3 next year HW2.5 will be superior.