Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 / Scheduled charge / Time of Day Utility Plan / Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checking back to see if anyone else has this issue.

Background info:
Car is a 2021 M3. SW version: 2023.38.6
Tesla wall charger in garage 240V 48A
Utility plan energizes charger only from 11P-7A every day. Charger is dark (no pwr) at all other times every day.
Car is set to SCHEDULED charging. Starting at 11:15P

Issue:
If Sentry is OFF car will not charge. If Sentry is ON car charges.

Notes:
When I plug in the 240V wall charger the charger is NOT energized.
After 11:15P, If Sentry was OFF, the only way to get charging started is to unplug car, move it a few inches and plug it back in.

As a control test: car was plugged in to a 120V outlet using portable charger cord that came with vehicle. This outlet is energized 100% of the time. It worked as designed and started charging at 11:15P.

I’d prefer to not have Sentry ON when car is in my cold Minnesota garage. But it seems to be a Tesla requirement (bug) for scheduled charging and my utility plan.

Checking back to see if anyone else has seen this.

Reactions: Eric33432
Follow up: Tesla SC says scheduled charge will not work for a TWC that’s on a sub-meter energized from 11P-7A with Sentry OFF. Says the issue is that the “car goes to sleep” before scheduled charging is initiated and does not wake up when charger is energized. The work-around is to leave Sentry mode ON. However, if I pull into my garage at <20% SOC Sentry cannot be turned on. In that case I have to wake up at 1130P and manually initiate charging. If your TWC is connected to a sub-meter and you don’t have this issue please lmk. If anyone is aware of an escalation path to get this bug fixed please lmk.

Follow up: Tesla SC says scheduled charge will not work for a TWC that’s on a sub-meter energized from 11P-7A with Sentry OFF. Says the issue is that the “car goes to sleep” before scheduled charging is initiated and does not wake up when charger is energized. The work-around is to leave Sentry mode ON. However, if I pull into my garage at <20% SOC Sentry cannot be turned on. In that case I have to wake up at 1130P and manually initiate charging. If your TWC is connected to a sub-meter and you don’t have this issue please lmk. If anyone is aware of an escalation path to get this bug fixed please lmk.
Tesla SC explained how and why system works. Just because it does not work the way you want it to, does not mean it is a bug that needs fixing.

Tesla SC explained how and why system works. Just because it does not work the way you want it to, does not mean it is a bug that needs fixing.
On an unrelated question, I have a friend who lives in Wilmington and is on the fence about buying a Tesla since the closest service center is in Raleigh. (Where I live we have several very close by). Can you share your service experience living in Wilmington to help him decide?

On an unrelated question, I have a friend who lives in Wilmington and is on the fence about buying a Tesla since the closest service center is in Raleigh. (Where I live we have several very close by). Can you share your service experience living in Wilmington to help him decide?
I have had my Tesla 3 in Wilmington for 5 years. We have great Mobile Service Techs. I have only had to go to Raleigh one time in 5 years.

Reactions: Eric33432