Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Macboost Installation Reco in Seattle Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone aware of a reputable shop in the Seattle-Bellevue area that can help me install the Macboost Camber Kit on my Tesla Model S Refresh? Admittedly, I am not mechanically savvy, yet, and this doesn't feel like the right thing to give it the ol' college try on.

Thank you,
Mahesh

Is anyone aware of a reputable shop in the Seattle-Bellevue area that can help me install the Macboost Camber Kit on my Tesla Model S Refresh? Admittedly, I am not mechanically savvy, yet, and this doesn't feel like the right thing to give it the ol' college try on.

Thank you,
Mahesh
I’m in the Seattle area and a new Plaid owner. If you don’t mind, could explain why you opted to replace the camber arms? Is the tire wear that bad? Wouldn’t the tire manufacturer cover the premature wear?

You can go with camber arms (most expensive option) or something like the Macsboost shim kit or similar alternatives. There is a lot of negative rear camber and it can destroy tires in short order. My first set of rears was gone in 5k miles.

There is some debate as to whether it is a tire defect or not. I personally don't think so; just a lot of negative camber and the 21" low profile tire sidewall is less flexible. As a result, the inner tire wear is pretty bad. Lucids have a similar problem but with a different tire manufacturer.

Not everyone has this issue, and many aren't even aware of it until it happens. A cheap fix (Macsboost shims or comparable) will save you a $1100 set of tires. I'd do it immediately if I was running 21's on an S.

There are several threads that share people’s experience. In some instances, with regard to the Michelins, they got them replaced under warranty, others got partial credit, or some received nothing at all. These Macsboost shims offer some peace of mind, at least for me. They they are relatively inexpensive, fairly discreet (to avoid potential warranty issues with Tesla down the road), and they’ll save a decent amount of money on tires.

Here’s one of the threads on tread -

Thread 'Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?'
Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?