Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintain "airport" charge tips/tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping to start a thread with only tips or ideas on how to reduce battery drain while leaving your car parked for a day to a few days or longer. I personally drive 130 miles to park at an airport for a few days at a time, then drive 130 miles back. It is well within it's range unless it loses a significant amount of charge while I'm gone. Anybody have and tips/tricks/ideas since we are without "not always connected" option like the S,X apparently has. All I can think of is:

- turn off my bluetooth from inside the car so maybe it won't be searching for a signal continuously.
- select "power off" on my car after I park it at the airport. Hopefully this will shut down any running apps/programs and start the car's memory fresh.
-sign out of Tesla app to avoid waking the car while I'm gone.

-I've considered bringing an extra 12V battery with me to plug in to the socket while I'm away to minimize the Car's 12V battery usage and subsequent recharge through the transformer/rectifier and main batteries.
-I've considered finding access to fuses to pull cellular while gone.

Please post if you have any comments on these or if you have any ideas yourself. Thanks!

I was hoping to start a thread with only tips or ideas on how to reduce battery drain while leaving your car parked for a day to a few days or longer. I personally drive 130 miles to park at an airport for a few days at a time, then drive 130 miles back. It is well within it's range unless it loses a significant amount of charge while I'm gone. Anybody have and tips/tricks/ideas since we are without "not always connected" option like the S,X apparently has. All I can think of is:

- turn off my bluetooth from inside the car so maybe it won't be searching for a signal continuously.
- select "power off" on my car after I park it at the airport. Hopefully this will shut down any running apps/programs and start the car's memory fresh.
-sign out of Tesla app to avoid waking the car while I'm gone.

-I've considered bringing an extra 12V battery with me to plug in to the socket while I'm away to minimize the Car's 12V battery usage and subsequent recharge through the transformer/rectifier and main batteries.
-I've considered finding access to fuses to pull cellular while gone.

Please post if you have any comments on these or if you have any ideas yourself. Thanks!
Apparantly the Model 3 doesn't actually have any fuses - so that idea is out
"All solid state virtual fuses. You don't actualy blow anything, you just trigger a software shutoff of the power"

Have you considered parking in a lot that has EV charging? I know that the economy lots typically don't have EV charging, but in Atlanta both of the daily lots (and I think the hourly lots) do have EV charging.

I've parked my Volt next to a few really nice 3's the last few times I traveled. My fingers are crossed that my next trip has me parking my 3 there. (Delivery scheduled for 3/31 @ 1:00 PM!)

For much less money per day you could likely find a hotel near the airport that would gladly let you pay to park, plug in to trickle with the UMC, use the 110V adapter and ride the shuttle to the airport.

Benefits to this are that you won't be taking up a dedicated EV charging spot since you'll be gone for a few days. Also, the slow charge rate will easily top your vehicle off to 90% while you're out of town. At 4 mph you'd only need 33 hours to charge to 100%, subtract small loss for inefficiency and use while idle, figure you'll easily by at 90% if you were only gone for 36 hours.

Add that your vehicle will be in close proximity to the hotel and might be in the view of security cameras. Hourly or short term parking can be very expensive, so check out your options.

Another idea, ask around at the other car park vendors near the airport. Maybe they have EV parking for a much better rate than the airport does. They want your business and are monitored 24/7, so your car would have little chance of being vandalized or unplugged.

I don't pay to park in an employee lot so it doesn't make sense for me to look for one that would cost money. I'm only looking for options to mitigate drain, but thanks guys. That's pretty interesting Chewy. Though the "virtual fuse" name they chose is not really a fuse in the least lol.