Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make Backgammon Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, love having backgammon in the car. Use it all the time.
Anyone know if there's a way to load a better AI to play against?
Being 58 to 1 against the car is starting to get a little boring. (The 1 loss, it rolled itself 66 and 55 about 12 times in a row)
It makes truly horrible playing choices at times, a bit like playing against a first time player who doesn't understand the concept.

Being 58 to 1 against the car is starting to get a little boring. (The 1 loss, it rolled itself 66 and 55 about 12 times in a row)
It makes truly horrible playing choices at times, a bit like playing against a first time player who doesn't understand the concept.
I’m at about 250/1. Boring! I have reached out to Tesla with no fix in sight.

Reactions: NoBeard
Well they definitely fixed it. I feel it controls the dice now. It gets so many quads! After playing about a hundred games the quads ratio is Tesla 7 me 1. I kept track of each game. It miraculously always gets out of “jail” on the first roll even if only one spot is open whereas whenever your price gets captured it takes forever to roll an open spot. Just ranting but it is the luckiest computer ever.

Well they definitely fixed it. I feel it controls the dice now. It gets so many quads! After playing about a hundred games the quads ratio is Tesla 7 me 1. I kept track of each game. It miraculously always gets out of “jail” on the first roll even if only one spot is open whereas whenever your price gets captured it takes forever to roll an open spot. Just ranting but it is the luckiest computer ever.
LOL, was thinking the same thing.
To be fair, it doesn't seem to do the really stupid moves any more so the play has improved remarkably but on top of the better play it really does seem to have amazing strings of "luck" as well on occasion with both rolling precisely the perfect rolls when needed. I'm running the top level of AI and currently I'm at 19 to Tesla at 21.

The experiment continues.

I did analyze 10 or so games using gnubg. I know that sometimes Tesla seems to control the dice (gnubg marks the rolls as unlucky/lucky). When playing against gnubg, I observe similar patterns. Therefore, I do believe it is just random seeded dice and Tesla is pretty good at strategically placing the checkers so that most dice combinations are actually useful.

I play at the medium level difficulty and I am on par with Tesla. At medium level, it often earns an Expert rating from gnubg; just one level below World Class. It rarely makes a bad move.

Reactions: MLXXXp
I play at the highest level, Super Tesla or something like that and I guess it beats me about 60-40. But I have to say it DOES seem like it gets dice rolls in its favor a lot. In some ways I don't like playing against it because it makes me too conservative; I'm afraid to even leave a fly shot because it'll hit it, and if it has a four board I'll never get out!