Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off FSD on the freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, is there a way to turn FSD off on the freeway? We used to have the option to turn NOA off. FSD is ok to play with around town, but I don't want to use it on the freeway because it pisses off other drivers, and makes poor exit / lane change choices. It also constantly tries to take me out of the carpool lane.

So now I end up not even using autopilot anymore because it always wants to take me out of the carpool lane.

Also is there a way to turn back on the ultrasonic sensors? The vision only system seems much worse than when it used to use the sensors. Car loves to get right up against concrete barriers now especially certain times of the day when they blend in more with the highway. When it used ultrasonice sensors it would keep a better / safer distance from the barriers, I don't like that it gets inches away and changes into the lane next to them for seemingly no reason.

Hopefully it is just an option I missed / can't find after one of the latest updates.

Thanks!

USS aren't turned off in 11.3. If your Tesla has them they're still used.

Have you tried toggling on minimize lane changes? You have to turn it on every drive but you can quickly access the setting by clicking left or right on the right scroll. When on, it should only make lane changes when required to follow the route.

If that doesn't work for you my suggestion is to make a new profile with FSDB off. If you hit new profile it copies everything from the current one. Then go in and turn it off. You can change profiles while driving.

The only annoying thing is it won't continue with whatever destination you have. You'll need to re-enter it after switching profiles.

Turn off FSD and use TACC?
Yes, so simple. Cut FSD Beta off and select either TACC or (legacy) Autosteer/NoA.

IMG_2739.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Won't that also remove FSD when not on the freeway?
You can setup 2 different profiles, one with FSD enabled and one without. You can easily switch between them while driving.

Or (at least on legacy MS) just enable TACC by itself or FSD using the engagement lever. Both are easy and quick.

Or use FSD with the "minimal lane changes except for NAV" enabled to allow you to choose your lane on the freeway. Unfortunately, that has to be set on every drive as the setting will not stick. I'd probably suggest this option as it's most compatible with FSD going forward.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Have you tried toggling on minimize lane changes? You have to turn it on every drive but you can quickly access the setting by clicking left or right on the right scroll. When on, it should only make lane changes when required to follow the route.
I have been turn on the "minimizing lane changes", that works pretty well on the highway. I only wish it was a permanent setting, not having to do it per ride.

I will try the clicking L or R on the right scroll wheel.