Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Excise Tax Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I searched in the local group forums and elsewhere, and haven't found an answer to this. I am in Maryland, and am eligible for the $3k excise tax rebate on the Model 3. The Maryland titling site says in order to qualify:
  • Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000
Is this pre-tax and delivery? I am hoping it is, because I really would like the MSM M3 AWD, premium wheels and white interior with FSD which puts me at $59,200 after destination and before 6% tax. Any Maryland M3 owners know for sure?

From the Maryland MVA page...

Titling - Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

Please be advised, effective immediately the $3 million funding authorized by the legislation for the Plug-In Electric Vehicle Excise Tax Credit for fiscal year 2019 are depleted.

We are currently processing applications that have already been received that will utilize the remaining funding. Applications will be processed in the order they were received. Once all funds are exhausted, no additional refunds will be issued until July 1, 2019 (fiscal year 2020) when additional funds become available.

The criteria for a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle are as follows:
  • The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
  • The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
  • The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2017, but before July 1, 2020.
  • The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
  • The vehicle must be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
  • Has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours.
  • Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000.

Note: The total purchase price of a vehicle is the price of a vehicle agreed on by the buyer and the seller, including any dealer processing charge, shipping or freight charges, less an allowance for trade in.

From the Maryland MVA page...

Titling - Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

Please be advised, effective immediately the $3 million funding authorized by the legislation for the Plug-In Electric Vehicle Excise Tax Credit for fiscal year 2019 are depleted.

We are currently processing applications that have already been received that will utilize the remaining funding. Applications will be processed in the order they were received. Once all funds are exhausted, no additional refunds will be issued until July 1, 2019 (fiscal year 2020) when additional funds become available.

The criteria for a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle are as follows:
  • The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
  • The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
  • The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2017, but before July 1, 2020.
  • The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
  • The vehicle must be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
  • Has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours.
  • Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000.

Note: The total purchase price of a vehicle is the price of a vehicle agreed on by the buyer and the seller, including any dealer processing charge, shipping or freight charges, less an allowance for trade in.

Duh....sorry, guess I should have looked at the form! So it looks like it is pre-tax and registration which gets me right under $60k so I can qualify. Cool
I also read on the form:
"if two plug-in electric vehicles are jointly owned by individuals, each individual is entitled to receive excise tax credit for one of the vehicles."
So when the Model Y comes out we can still qualify for the rebate assuming its under $60k and the program is still available. Good to know!

Duh....sorry, guess I should have looked at the form! So it looks like it is pre-tax and registration which gets me right under $60k so I can qualify. Cool
I also read on the form:
"if two plug-in electric vehicles are jointly owned by individuals, each individual is entitled to receive excise tax credit for one of the vehicles."
So when the Model Y comes out we can still qualify for the rebate assuming its under $60k and the program is still available. Good to know!

Just make sure that if you're the primary owner on this vehicle, make your spouse/partner the primary owner on the second vehicle!

So does this mean that Maryland will just hold the applications until more funding is available after July 1st?

I remember with the previous tax credit a few years ago, once the funding was completed for the year, any additional applications in that year were all rejected.

I am planning on buying a M3 within the next month so don’t want to be caught in the window where they don’t have funding

So does this mean that Maryland will just hold the applications until more funding is available after July 1st?

I remember with the previous tax credit a few years ago, once the funding was completed for the year, any additional applications in that year were all rejected.

I am planning on buying a M3 within the next month so don’t want to be caught in the window where they don’t have funding

We've actually gotten contradictory information from the MVA across multiple calls. One MVA representative said there is a queue of applications right now. As soon as you submit you enter the queue to receive the refund as soon as funding gets restored. Another just said "That program has ended." and encouraged us not to apply.

The MVA website says:

"
"

To me that sounds like the queue is likely. We mailed in our application last week, as soon as we got our Title number.

Reactions: Ven Rala
Some good news for people following the legislation on this, today Larry Hogan signed the Clean Cars Act of 2019 into law this morning Maryland Gov. Hogan to sign bill reforming university regents after death of Terps football player

This expands the tax credit from $3 million total to $6 million for FY 2020 (beginning in July 2019).

The program was in sore need of this credit. It previously ran out in November 2018 after just 4 months; and if the MVA is keeping a waitlist of applications, they may have already passed $3 million worth of waitlisted applications.

I'm having trouble finding monthly statistics on EV registrations, but given the difference between this article which pulled numbers as of February, and the dataset as of March, it looks like 363 EVs and 113 hybrid vehicles were registered statewide in March alone. If that rate was constant for the 5 months of registrations since the program ran out of money, that would mean 1,815 EVs and 565 hybrids. Assuming each EV gets an average credit of $2,000 and each hybrid gets an average credit of $1,000, we're already up to $4.2 million of the new $6 million cap accounted for!

Just FYI, they're out of money already...

Please be advised, effective immediately the $6 million funding authorized by the Maryland Clean Cars Act of 2019 (HB1246) as an excise tax credit for both Plug-In Electric Vehicles and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles for Fiscal Year 2020 (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) has been depleted.
Credit request will only be processed if additional funding becomes available and Applicants will be awarded the credit in the order of application receipt.
We are currently holding all applications that have been submitted, but no funding has been authorized for Fiscal Year 2021 yet.
If you have any questions please email us at: [email protected]

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
LOL. That's just great. Waiting on the inspector to come check out my wall connector install so I can apply for the 40% credit before it's also gone for next year.

<edit> Nice to see they raised the maximum price from 60k to 63k, but my P3D at 65K still doesn't apply. Maybe next fiscal year... </edit>

When the MEA emailed to let me know my application was received in late April, they said they had waitlisted $190k out of a total $1.2 million budget. So you should be fine ;)

I just checked with them yesterday...I bought in May, finally got my title and sent in the application in early June.
Their response, "you are on file, and will be in line for an expected refund processing July 2020."

And as for the equipment rebate:
"The charging station rebate program is currently out of funds, but we are continuing to accept applications. Eligible applications will be placed on a waitlist and processed in the order they were received beginning on July 1, the start of the new state fiscal year when new funding becomes available."

Last edited:
I just checked with them yesterday...I bought in May, finally got my title and sent in the application in early June.
Their response, "you are on file, and will be in line for an expected refund processing July 2020."

And as for the equipment rebate:
"The charging station rebate program is currently out of funds, but we are continuing to accept applications. Eligible applications will be placed on a waitlist and processed in the order they were received beginning on July 1, the start of the new state fiscal year when new funding becomes available."

I'm guessing the MEA will have funds for you on July 1, 2019 for the EVSE rebate while the MVA is waiting on a re-authorization of funding for the excise tax credit and won't have new funds until July 2020. They're two separate pools of money.

I'm guessing the MEA will have funds for you on July 1, 2019 for the EVSE rebate while the MVA is waiting on a re-authorization of funding for the excise tax credit and won't have new funds until July 2020. They're two separate pools of money.

Yeah, that's what I figured. How does the excise tax work anyway? I know for the federal credit there's a form you file with your taxes, is the MD credit the same?
Does that mean I won't actually see the MD rebate until I do my taxes in 2021?

Yeah, that's what I figured. How does the excise tax work anyway? I know for the federal credit there's a form you file with your taxes, is the MD credit the same?
Does that mean I won't actually see the MD rebate until I do my taxes in 2021?

Information on the program is here: Titling - Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

You fill out a VR-334 from that page linked above and mail it to the MVA. You already paid the sales tax on the car, this is just like a mail-in rebate for it. As you said above, the funding has run out, but they keep a waitlist of applicants so there's no harm in submitting it. Best case scenario funding gets re-authorized and you get a check in the mail on July 1, 2020. Worst case scenario you're out postage.

Information on the program is here: Titling - Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

You fill out a VR-334 from that page linked above and mail it to the MVA. You already paid the sales tax on the car, this is just like a mail-in rebate for it. As you said above, the funding has run out, but they keep a waitlist of applicants so there's no harm in submitting it. Best case scenario funding gets re-authorized and you get a check in the mail on July 1, 2020. Worst case scenario you're out postage.

Gotcha. I'm already on the wait list, just wasn't sure if there was an additional step or not. Thanks.

Thanks for the direct email address @AKinDC . I was able to reach them through the normal MVA contact form, but it took a few internal redirects.

Judging by the letter sent out to dealerships, if your form was received by the MVA by May 29, 2019 you should receive funding starting in July 2019. If funding is reauthorized (which is not guaranteed, contact your state reps!), everyone who submitted after that point should be in the waitlist for July 2020.

Was anyone in the waitlist for July 2018? Did the MVA just mail out checks starting on July 1?

Reactions: darttater