Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maserati GranTurismo Folgore EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Last edited:
Looks like Maserati will be beating Tesla to the punch for a sports car with their GranTurismo Folgore. Its an EV with expected EPA range around 230 miles, my guess of a $250K cost and available maybe end of 2023 in the US (earlier in Europe).

Edit: InsideEV's review of it: 2024 Maserati GranTurismo Folgore First Drive Review: Quick As Lightning
IMO:

This is the shortest of shortcuts from a company that's always behind the other Euro luxury brands.

An existing ICE model, that they just threw an engine-size battery where their engine goes.
230ml range because of the small battery, is terrible, not just for range, but also for overall balance in handling being up front.
This will be the ultimate niche vehicle, basically for Maserati fans that really want a Plaid, but won't buy a Tesla.
This is not a competitor for the Roadster. It's not beating Tesla in any way, unless you consider 2 less doors as an advantage.

IMO:

This is the shortest of shortcuts from a company that's always behind the other Euro luxury brands.

An existing ICE model, that they just threw an engine-size battery where their engine goes.
230ml range because of the small battery, is terrible, not just for range, but also for overall balance in handling being up front.
This will be the ultimate niche vehicle, basically for Maserati fans that really want a Plaid, but won't buy a Tesla.
This is not a competitor for the Roadster. It's not beating Tesla in any way, unless you consider 2 less doors as an advantage.
You are right when it comes to specs, but geez, Tesla is opening the doors to these kind of cars by not producing the Roadster. Sometimes I get very frustrated with Tesla’s slow product roll outs. I do understand that IF you are selling all you can of existing models, you don’t need to increase model diversity, but it still doesn’t hurt to increase diversity if only as insurance against macro demand slowdown. New products will always find buyers even in bad macro environments.

You are right when it comes to specs, but geez, Tesla is opening the doors to these kind of cars by not producing the Roadster. Sometimes I get very frustrated with Tesla’s slow product roll outs. I do understand that IF you are selling all you can of existing models, you don’t need to increase model diversity, but it still doesn’t hurt to increase diversity if only as insurance against macro demand slowdown. New products will always find buyers even in bad macro environments.
Yeah, sometimes I think the fact that Tesla doesn't use the standard model year format can hurt them.
It's great for on-the-fly changes, but that can backfire because it also gives the ability to jump around and instead of sustained focus on certain projects for set timeframes, it lends itself to hopping to whatever someone deems the "hot" thing.
So smaller teams get stretched thin. And we know Elon runs his companies on skeleton crews whenever possible.
I can just imagine after every investors meeting after talking to someone influential, he's on the phone switching a team's priority list.

The established car makers do things a certain way for a reason. And as much as I'm all for a disruptor, you don't do something different for sake of being different. It should be an improvement, or at the very least, not worse. And when Tesla had 2-3 models, his way can work.
But at scale, his ideas are becoming cumbersome.
Tesla is the first company Elon has kept that reached this scale. His previous companies he sold before getting this big. So I think he's just stuck in his company building mentality and hasn't learned how to change gears at scale. I hope he learns quickly. But from the looks of how he eviscerated Twitter, an already established large company, doesn't look like he's learning from the mistakes.

Looks like Maserati will be beating Tesla to the punch for a sports car with their GranTurismo Folgore. Its an EV with expected EPA range around 230 miles, my guess of a $250K cost and available maybe end of 2023 in the US (earlier in Europe).

Edit: InsideEV's review of it: 2024 Maserati GranTurismo Folgore First Drive Review: Quick As Lightning
There are people, perhaps not too many of them, who LOVE Maserati, Ferrari, older Alfa (say, GTV1750), and even selected Fiat (Uno Turbo i.e., 124 Spyder) and Lancia Delta HF Integrale. Those people keep buying them despite some spectacular faults in most of them. I am one of those, with even three Maseratis that I once owned. That ignores a Morgan Plus 8 and other idiocies. So...

I am now a deeply committed Teslaphile and investor. My old Maserati ownership habits have caused me to be pestered for the new GT Folgore, sadly for my pocketbook I am once again seduced by that flawed beauty. Of course the range is small, it's not for mundane road trips. Of course there will be problems, hopefully not catching fire as one of mine did on Park Avenue in New York a few minutes after delivery.

Skip any notion of reality, this is realization of something captivating. Luckily for me, I'll keep a Tesla to drive when the Maserati is being repaired.

Whatever you do, if you like this one DO NOT BE RATIONAL!

Yeah, sometimes I think the fact that Tesla doesn't use the standard model year format can hurt them.
It's great for on-the-fly changes, but that can backfire because it also gives the ability to jump around and instead of sustained focus on certain projects for set timeframes, it lends itself to hopping to whatever someone deems the "hot" thing.
So smaller teams get stretched thin. And we know Elon runs his companies on skeleton crews whenever possible.
I can just imagine after every investors meeting after talking to someone influential, he's on the phone switching a team's priority list.

The established car makers do things a certain way for a reason. And as much as I'm all for a disruptor, you don't do something different for sake of being different. It should be an improvement, or at the very least, not worse. And when Tesla had 2-3 models, his way can work.
But at scale, his ideas are becoming cumbersome.
Tesla is the first company Elon has kept that reached this scale. His previous companies he sold before getting this big. So I think he's just stuck in his company building mentality and hasn't learned how to change gears at scale. I hope he learns quickly. But from the looks of how he eviscerated Twitter, an already established large company, doesn't look like he's learning from the mistakes.
While Elon eviscerated the Twitter workforce, Twitter itself has never been healthier. They've released more new features in the last 6 months than in the last 6 years. Bots and spam have been slashed by 90%. Real users have increased. And it has shown itself to be a viable mass market video delivery platform: Tucker Carlson used to get about 3 million viewers on Fox. Now his short shows get 90 million views on Twitter!

WRT Elon and Tesla, we have no proof of what Tesla would be like with a different leader/strategy/tactics. I find it hard to believe it would be demonstrably better though. While I expressed frustration about the Roadster, I have no reason to believe that Elon isn't maximizing shareholder value. Yes, he is taking risks by having so few models (and that was one of the dings the bond rating agencies had against Tesla), but on the flip side, it does maximize revenue and is only a bad idea IF demand turns against you. And I would bet Elon has contingency plans if that were to happen.

tl;dr Criticizing Elon for CEO decisions is a fools errand and I would caution against it.

Hmm, so they're beating Tesla with a sports car that costs twice as much, but has less range than the original Tesla Roadster (with 244 miles, originally, then 330 miles range when upgraded)?

Granted, the classic Tesla Roadster is no longer in production, but I think it's a bit of a misquote to say "beating Tesla to the punch" when we're in the second round and Tesla already beat everyone to the punch in the first round.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom