Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd EV...Model X or Y? Year '20 or '21?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BACKGROUND:

Fine people of this community, can you please help me make a decision? I owned a Model 3 for five years but sold it in the quest of getting a bigger (higher) vehicle as it was starting to give me back issues (6'4") and an addition to the family quickly made the Model 3 in need for more space.

My spouse didn't want the Tesla because of the absence of a proper blind spot monitor built in the mirror and rear cross traffic alert system (I know that Tesla now apparently brakes in reverse but still no alert). And the QA is still nothing to write home about as evident from a couple of cars we drove with the intention of buying them and scrapped the plan. She is now incredibly happy driving her '21 MME GTPE.

I personally do not mind not having a mirror based blind spot and I will reluctantly live with the absence of rear cross traffic alert if the other check boxes are checked. I am in the market for a used Tesla Model X or Y with enhanced autopilot. I definitely cannot afford a new Model X. And I am not hell bent on buying a new Y if I find a good deal on used ones as we will likely not qualify for rebates anyway.

QUESTION:

1) For a family of tall people, do you recommend X or Y? Why?

2) My Model 3 pre-dates Tesla Vision and I was incredibly happy with the sensors fit in that car. I keep hearing that all Y made after a certain month/year are pretty bad with Tesla Vision? Is it really as bad as some people are saying that it doesn't detect tall dividers behind the car, etc.? What is the deal here? My garages where I park are incredibly tight and I back in so I could help not hitting anything because the sensor didn't guide me.

3) If Y - do you recommend buying 2020 or 2021 (refreshed) keeping this radar / tesla vision in mind? If X - same question, 2020 or 2021? I don't think I can afford 2022/2023 (a user ID is just a user ID) but I think 2020 car is the exact same as 2021? I don't care about playing video games in my car so I am not too keen on buying the latest and greatest.

4) Range estimates - I can tell you that my two model years old EV I have (Ford) is surprisingly on point when it comes to range estimates and sometimes exceeds it. It's rated 260 and often meets 260 when it's not winter. In winter it does drop quite a bit but using steering and seat heater and not punching the car like I stole it, keeps the range very close to the EPA, which was pleasantly surprising to me after Model 3. I drive like most EV drivers do and we do live in hilly windy snowy conditions. With Model 3, my real world range was "very very poor" compared to the EPA even as a new car. Are newer Y and X (2021 and newer) better at estimating real world range?

Given your personal opinions posted both in this thread and elsewhere here on TMC (which you absolutely are entitled to, of course), I would say that the correct answer for you is "neither". You already had the Tesla experience, didnt particularly like it, and are happy with your Ford.

Other brand EVs now are going to have access to Supercharging, so there is no reason for anyone who isnt sold on the vehicles to get one, they can get another manufacturers vehicle and still use the supercharger network (at least upcoming).

So "neither", for someone who isnt sold on Tesla.

Given your personal opinions posted both in this thread and elsewhere here on TMC (which you absolutely are entitled to, of course), I would say that the correct answer for you is "neither". You already had the Tesla experience, didnt particularly like it, and are happy with your Ford.

Other brand EVs now are going to have access to Supercharging, so there is no reason for anyone who isnt sold on the vehicles to get one, they can get another manufacturers vehicle and still use the supercharger network (at least upcoming).

So "neither", for someone who isnt sold on Tesla.
Good answer. And it answers my question almost entirely. Except, it’s not “my” Ford. My wife likes it so much that she wants me nowhere near it :)

Thank you.

Last edited: