Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Charge in Winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a DM Telsa 3 with 50,000 kms on it. I live in Vancouver and weather this week is around -8 C. I charged my battery to the max yesterday but it only charged to 469 kms. Is this normal given the weather?

Thanks!

Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?
Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern.
Your driving behaviors and environmental conditions can impact your car's efficiency, and therefore its range. To see estimated range based on personalized energy consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for estimated range to decrease slightly over the first few months before leveling off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge – this depends on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you in the unlikely event a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Range

So does it mean it's better to avoid supercharging? Or it's better to supercharge over Chamedo and home?

Optimal use range is 20% to 80%. Charge to 90%-100% when needed.

Avoid going below 10% if possible. That will reduce degradation.

If you want to break your battery, do the opposite of the above ;) [Tesla will have logs of it though, good luck claiming warranty with abusive behaviour]

Wintertime efficiency average 60-70% of displayed range: 450km = ~310km with battery going into Yellow. Plan around this for road trips.

Hello, I have a DM Telsa 3 with 50,000 kms on it. I live in Vancouver and weather this week is around -8 C. I charged my battery to the max yesterday but it only charged to 469 kms. Is this normal given the weather?

Thanks!

Heavier car and hungrier car. Your cells may be unbalanced if you regularly charge to 60% or 70%. I've charged to 90% a lot last winter as I wasn't charging every evening.

The most recent 100% charge was 502/525km ~5% degradation expected for first 50,000 kms.

Heavier car and hungrier car. Your cells may be unbalanced if you regularly charge to 60% or 70%. I've charged to 90% a lot last winter as I wasn't charging every evening.

The most recent 100% charge was 502/525km ~5% degradation expected for first 50,000 kms.

So with 100% charge I am getting max 459km in the garage. So about 9% degradation. Is this within acceptable parameters? Or is this winter thing and it will bounce back in the summer?

So with 100% charge I am getting max 459km in the garage. So about 9% degradation. Is this within acceptable parameters? Or is this winter thing and it will bounce back in the summer?
It should bounce back a bit, but probably only to around 470km. It seems almost all long range AWD have settled around that number. I fluctuate around there too. Some think it's partly because Tesla increased the low end buffer by a few kwh (tesla Bjorn did a video on this a couple months back). Also the battery will degrade more in year 1 then taper off, so maybe it's that. No one knows really as the model 3 is still new.

In terms of it being 'acceptable' the battery warranty is 70% capacity over 8 years, so it could degrade 10% in year 1, then 2% every year after and still be well within warranty. If you lost another 10% in year 2, then I would start getting worried.

Charge to 90% once a month unless you need it daily (winter time maybe). Otherwise, 70% for summer / 80% for winter is fine. Go 90-100% for trips, especially for winter.

Reactions: Techniques