Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Medicare for all - fixing US healthcare

I don't want to get sick or die, lets

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Health Care for All/[Some]:

[
quote]British doctors have received guidance on which patients to save if health system overwhelmed
From CNN's Simon Cullen in London

Older patients with a low chance of survival could have life-saving ventilators removed so the machines can be given to healthier patients under new ethics guidelines issued by the British Medical Association (BMA).

The guidance has been prepared for doctors who will need to make "grave decisions" about who should receive "scarce lifesaving resources" if the country’s health system is overwhelmed by coronavirus cases.

"As such, some of the most unwell patients may be denied access to treatment such as intensive care or artificial ventilation," the BMA’s ethics guidance note states.
[/quote]

So it seems to me that this is a forum of smart, forward-looking people. People that understand that we are in this for the long haul and using finite resources are bad for the planet.

So of course, everyone here MUST also be for Universal Healthcare. Not crazy watered-down choices like Mayor Pete advocates. Just a simple abolition of health insurance, premiums, co-pays, and all the cards and networks that are designed to screw you out of inexpensive healthcare.

Thoughts?
Ask yourself this question and let me know your honest answer. Would a government run entity have designed and produced a Tesla? If you like advancements in technology and learning keep a free enterprise system in place. Our system is not perfect and I don’t know the best solution but I don’t want government run production of car companies so why would I want the same for medical care. You may say the hospitals would not be government run, but if there is but one customer the hospital will do whatever the customer says.

My life doesn't depend on a car being made. Or a phone having a cool browser. Going into a debt spiral, losing my home, because of an accident or disease is the reason we should think of healthcare like police or fire or unemployment. Healthcare is not a fad or a whim, don't treat it as such.

If wonder if anyone's minds have been changed during this health disaster. Too bad we gambled and lost ignoring the virus, unlike Taiwan where they buckled down and stopped its advance. Their government did that. People are going to work and play every day there because those who are infected are detected. Oh, you just flew into Taiwan? OK, you will need to take this special taxi home and we will call you and check up daily on your quarantine. Hi, just checking in, here are 14 masks for you if you go out for groceries. Remember not to meet up with anyone, we can see your location from your phone.

Reactions: eevee-fan
Universal healthcare sounds great. Let me know when someone figures out how to implement it without taxing regular people to death, and without destroying an industry that employs 22 million people, all while making sure doctors are fairly compensated for their time, education level and skill.

I’ll be waiting.
(sorry for entering this thread late)
What you are saying is you want to keep health care unreasonably expensive. Sorry but I'd rather those 22 million people lose their jobs and everyone have the same affordable insurance. When everyone has the same insurance that will fix a rampant issue in this country which I'll refer to as "screw you I got mine". Think about it, those 22 million unemployed will have the same insurance as everyone else!

However, we could save those 22 million people's jobs if you want everyone to be taxed to death. But you stated you did not want the high expense.

My father in law was having issues and the insurance company required him to do 6 months of physical therapy before going forward with testing. He died of leukemia 7 months later. That man was like a father to me and for the rest of my life I will give zero shits about insurance companies. And for those that want to talk about government death panels I'll talk about private insurance company death panels like the personal example I listed above.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Well said THX-1139

AND people will be dying

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, looking for thoughts, I know that can be hard...

Yeah, I was hoping it would allow me to go back and edit it, I didn't know what all ideas would be good to put in there, hopefully, it will inspire people to post their good ideas here

Yeah, the issue is that we DO have that right, just wander into any hospital in the USofA with a GSW and they will fix you right up. So saying that we DON'T have that right is rong. When people start to clamp down on free emergency healthcare the press runs stories, even repubs start their crazy "death panel memes"
People will still be dying, that's what we do. Taxing me to give you something free will not change that. I suggest a history book. I would support a form of medical service from our government but nothing that takes away my choice of health care providers. (you can keep your doctor was a lie) I should start a poll like yours except ask if "Trump is the best president ever or just in the last 250 years?"

People will still be dying, that's what we do. Taxing me to give you something free will not change that. I suggest a history book. I would support a form of medical service from our government but nothing that takes away my choice of health care providers. (you can keep your doctor was a lie) I should start a poll like yours except ask if "Trump is the best president ever or just in the last 250 years?"
Sorry or inserting myself here...
You can keep your doctor is always a lie. Employers shop around and change every year if they want. If you are self employed then sure but the majority of the people shop from the plans their employer offers which is 1 or 2. I have never had a plan that does not take away my choice of health care providers. And seriously, if we have one national health care system I think you will have a choice of health care providers otherwise how would they survive? Unless they are cash only.. and we all have cash so you still would have the choice of all providers. So outlawing private insurance and having national health care would give you the largest choice of providers. Am I logically missing something?

Currently I do not have full choice and never had. This past year I have been nailed twice by insurance due to nurse practitioner, not the doctor helping.. then it have to appeal it then they pay. A huge waste of my time and I grow tired of it.

Are the healthcare institutions offering medicare already included in their scope this Covid19?

Not quite sure of your question. Are you asking does Medicare cover COVID? (The answer is yes.) Are you asking if any health care provider that accepts Medicare has to also cover COVID? (That answer is yes.)

Note: Medicare is an insurance program paid for by the Feds. It covers hospitalization (Part A) and docs and labs (Part B). Individuals can also purchase a Supplement which covers copayments, deductibles for docs and for drugs (Part D). Alternatively, an individual can opt out of Original Medicare (Parts A&B) and choose an HMO-like product (Part C).

That is not single payer. Obamacare was meant to regulate health insurance so no one could be turned away, insurance couldnt just charge you until you got sick then cut you off, health insurance couldnt say you hit a lifetime or annual limit. That and subsidy people with less money. It was never a gateway to single payer. In fact the item that would have a made it a gateway to single payer was not allowed to be part of it. Otherwise Obamcare would never have made it out of the Senate. Blue Dog Democrats and Independents made sure of that.
The ObamaCare is a great help and with a great objective regarding healthcare concerns.

Not quite sure of your question. Are you asking does Medicare cover COVID? (The answer is yes.) Are you asking if any health care provider that accepts Medicare has to also cover COVID? (That answer is yes.)

Note: Medicare is an insurance program paid for by the Feds. It covers hospitalization (Part A) and docs and labs (Part B). Individuals can also purchase a Supplement which covers copayments, deductibles for docs and for drugs (Part D). Alternatively, an individual can opt out of Original Medicare (Parts A&B) and choose an HMO-like product (Part C).
Big Dog thank you for explaining it the simplest way that I definitely understand. Do you have an idea how much does Medicare shoulders for Covid patients? Thanks Big Dog!

I like the idea of universal healthcare, but augmented by the choice to pay more for additional services or levels of care within a free market. This would provide a basic standard of care at a minimum and also support innovation in healthcare and choice for consumers willing to pay more.

I agree, plastic surgery seems like something that's more elective than not. Not sure I want too much money being able to change outcomes. I can see a time when a kidney goes to the highest bidder, so being able to pay for higher levels of care is kinda a slippery slope.

I agree, plastic surgery seems like something that's more elective than not. Not sure I want too much money being able to change outcomes. I can see a time when a kidney goes to the highest bidder, so being able to pay for higher levels of care is kinda a slippery slope.

It could be a slippery slope, but there are solutions to problems that don’t have to be all or nothing. The benefits of the free market drive innovation and jobs which are good for all. The fairness of universal care takes into account that we are all humans with healthcare needs that should be met. The slippery slope is avoided by keeping both ideas in mind when making the rules and setting the boundaries between what we need, what we want, and what is best for society on the whole. I believe we can have our cake and eat it, too. The biggest obstacle, in my opinion, is to elect political leaders who think this way and are not swayed by personal gain. Are there any out there? I hope so, but am really wondering these days.

Reactions: eevee-fan