Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes NVIDIA partnership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: hcdavis3
I think it needs a sea change across the industry for them to catch Tesla. Not a fanboy in the slightest, but the Model 3 is the first car I've owned where things have just been added to it, for free, OTA.

The BMW i3 I had previously was a nice car, but if I owned that car for 5 years it would be the same at the start as at the end. All of the issues I would have with the infotainment system, the driver assistance stuff, etc would exist and I would have to live with. Maybe in a future facelift of the car, a 2021 BMW i3 might fix some of these problems, but I would have to buy that car to get them. That's the old way of things - you buy a car and what you buy is what you get, for the lifetime of the car.

Knowing Porsche and how hopeless they were/are on the software side of things (I had a Cayman which was supposed to get map updates every 2 years - so already useless - and that stopped when they decided the car was too old, or whatever. Oh, and those map updates cost £300 from the dealer) I don't expect the Taycan to be a sea change in that regard. I expect the Taycan to age horribly, and that there will be another one within 2 years with radically different software, "incompatible" with the old version.

Not saying Tesla is without fault, but they are way beyond traditional car manufacturers in terms of what people expect nowadays. The fact that a car is probably the only thing you own nowadays with computer(s) in that doesn't get updated just shows how far behind they are.

Prior to this, BMW and Mercedes were collaborating with each other in this field- but that collaboration was recently stopped. I believe that BMW at the very least were 'in bed with' Mobileye, but its unclear whether this was part of the BMW/Mercedes collaboration, or an extra partnership had with Mobileye.

As Mobileye are very much on top of their game (quite possibly well ahead of Tesla in many areas), it would be interesting to know why Mercedes went the direction of Nvidia and whether it is just to leverage hardware or a whole solution.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I think it needs a sea change across the industry for them to catch Tesla. Not a fanboy in the slightest, but the Model 3 is the first car I've owned where things have just been added to it, for free, OTA.

Not saying Tesla is without fault, but they are way beyond traditional car manufacturers in terms of what people expect nowadays. The fact that a car is probably the only thing you own nowadays with computer(s) in that doesn't get updated just shows how far behind they are.

The Mercedes presentation made a big fanfare about how their cars would perpetually upgrade (from 2024). I love that feature in my M3.

Also the Tesla buying process is fantastic. No long list of options, no haggling (make me an offer and I will walk off and pretend to discuss it with my Sales Manager) and online only.

Porsche charges extra for a slightly faster internal charger. The idiots.

A lack of options goes both ways though, I guess. I don't mean the ridiculous extent to which Porsche goes with their option grubbing, but even just options disappearing. If I'd wanted a black Model 3 I think I would've been annoyed that the silver alloys just disappeared overnight. The current grey colour works on some exterior colours more than others, I think.

Also bearing in mind the QC issues that already occur with so few options, Tesla have no hope of trying to offering a buffet of options, like Porsche do. That said I wonder how important it is, really. You don't see people losing their minds because they can't spec a rose gold MacBook Pro, or a purple iPhone.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Imagine Mercedes/BMW making cars with Tesla batteries, FSD computer and software :cool:
Would not be much margin in that deal for Mercedes!

You can bet Tesla will continuously improve their product design and manufacturing quality to match the best in class of today before long (that massive press the size of a house for the Model Y is a good start).

It feels like Apple. Apple became huge because they controlled the software AND the hardware - they could just make tightly integrated designs. Tesla can do that. Mercedes with NVIDA will never be able to do that.

The only thing stopping Tesla becoming the Apple of cars in my opinion is themselves.

Apple stuff is excessively expensive relative to the cost of the parts, you can buy far more powerful equipment for much less money, but people buy into the ecosystem, the brand and the experience. More importantly - people put up with quirks and missing features because they buy into the whole. That is already a thing with Tesla.

The critical difference is that Apple kit is well made. It doesn't matter to most customers that various components are soldered on, non-user replaceable, etc.

Tesla really need to get their act together with regards to QC. People will tolerate "it's an American car, not a German precision tool" to a point, but not

The only thing stopping Tesla becoming the Apple of cars in my opinion is themselves.

Apple stuff is excessively expensive relative to the cost of the parts, you can buy far more powerful equipment for much less money, but people buy into the ecosystem, the brand and the experience. More importantly - people put up with quirks and missing features because they buy into the whole. That is already a thing with Tesla.

The critical difference is that Apple kit is well made. It doesn't matter to most customers that various components are soldered on, non-user replaceable, etc.

Tesla really need to get their act together with regards to QC. People will tolerate "it's an American car, not a German precision tool" to a point, but not

What about the ones built in Giga Berlin? ;-)

What about the ones built in Giga Berlin? ;-)
It will be interesting to see if they are different, but I guess QC is more about processes and timelines etc rather than anything innately wrong with the people or equipment at the factories in America.

If people buying Model 3s from Giga Berlin end up without dust nibs underneath the paint it would be a massive improvement :)

It will be interesting to see if they are different, but I guess QC is more about processes and timelines etc rather than anything innately wrong with the people or equipment at the factories in America.

If people buying Model 3s from Giga Berlin end up without dust nibs underneath the paint it would be a massive improvement :)

I accept it takes time for a young company to work out what the established players have learned over a century. But regarding paint, I had my March 2020 M3 detailed at Azuri Cars in Stevenage. He said the paint was remarkably good for a Tesla and he has seen Astons with much worse paint.

Apparently the Giga Berlin paint shop will have two extra coats which should help.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel