Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal Surface on the Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to attach a magnetic hidden key case on the car but couldn't seem to find a metal (steel) surface to stick it to. Has anyone tried to do this with their car? Would anyone know if there might be a place to attach it under the plastic cladding?

You are the second person recently who has asked about this, and I have to ask "why"? There is no reason I can think of that you would ever need this on a tesla, or it would be useful to anyone other than someone trying to steal the car.

I made a post on the other recent thread asking this question with why I say this, and will copy it here. After you read it, if it doesnt apply to you, please let us know what circumstance this might be useful on a model 3.

I think you are holding onto something "legacy" here. I cant find a reason for anyone to have a hide a key type device with a tesla model 3 or Y

1. Keycards are valid keys, 2 come with the car, and fit in every wallet / purse etc.
2. You can use your smartphone as a key to open the door, and remote start the vehicle if desired
3. if you share your car with someone else, you can setup phone as key for them and / or if they have the tesla app on their phone they can open the door remotely for you, and also start the car for you
4. If you are at a friends home and somehow get locked out and cant reach anyone who already has tesla app setup, you could call a friend, have them download the tesla app, give them your credentials and have them unlock the door (and start the car). you would simply change your tesla account password shortly after.

All of this without having a potentially vulnerable key device on the vehicle itself anywhere.

You might be used to having one of those things, but I cant see a single purpose it serves thats safer than any of the above.... unless I am missing something.

Edit:.. I know thats not what you asked, but I used to use those things too, until my wifes X3 had remote access to open the doors and such, and I got my model 3.

Reactions: android04
I have never had a key hidden in any of my previous and cars. However, I can see this is useful if you lost your wallet that has the card key and your phone (or you got robbed). Even if a friend or family member could unlock the car remotely for you, you still can't drive home because you don't have a cardkey or a linked-phone with you. But if you have a card key stuck with the car, you can use it and drive home.

. Even if a friend or family member could unlock the car remotely for you, you still can't drive home because you don't have a cardkey or a linked-phone with you.

Thats not correct, actually. Yes, you actually can drive home if someone remotely unlocks the car and remotely starts it, no keycard on your person necessary in that instance. You can even try it if you want... go park your car a house away from your home, go back inside and leave your keycard and phone there. Give the phone to someone in the house, with the tesla app open . Show them where the unlock and remote start buttons are.

Go back outside, pull on door, see its closed. Have them remote unlock and remote start car, get in and drive around the block. When you park, you wont be able to re start the car without the keycard, but you absolutely could "drive home" in this situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Good to know. I see you can from the app to tap the car icon to start the car.

This works if you have someone who can do it remotely for you. But if you don't, then a cardkey hidden in the car will work. I am not advocating this. Just that it might be the only backup for someone who has no one else close or trustworthy to assist in case of emergency.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
You are the second person recently who has asked about this, and I have to ask "why"? There is no reason I can think of that you would ever need this on a tesla, or it would be useful to anyone other than someone trying to steal the car.

I made a post on the other recent thread asking this question with why I say this, and will copy it here. After you read it, if it doesnt apply to you, please let us know what circumstance this might be useful on a model 3.

Interesting. I didn't see that post. The reason why is because I live in an apartment building by myself and I'm worried there may come a time when I lose my apartment keys (either through dropping them, forgetting them somewhere, mugged/robbed of my phone, etc.) and not be able to get into my apartment. I don't have any friends or relatives near me at all that I can leave my keys with and conveniently retrieve. I've actually had to resort to a hidden key in my previous car once. So I've purchased a magnetic key box but haven't been able to find a place to put it on my car. It's not about the keys to the Tesla but about my apartment keys.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Interesting. I didn't see that post. The reason why is because I live in an apartment building by myself and I'm worried there may come a time when I lose my apartment keys (either through dropping them, forgetting them somewhere, mugged/robbed of my phone, etc.) and not be able to get into my apartment. I don't have any friends or relatives near me at all that I can leave my keys with and conveniently retrieve. I've actually had to resort to a hidden key in my previous car once. So I've purchased a magnetic key box but haven't been able to find a place to put it on my car. It's not about the keys to the Tesla but about my apartment keys.

That makes sense. I dont know of a suitable surface on a model 3, sorry.

I found this post because I'm looking to use the magnetic box to hide a battery in case my 12V dies and I can't open the frunk to jump start it. I've read online horror stories of not being able to open anything once the 12V dies. So my thought is to hide the A23 battery outside the car. And if the 12V dies I could pop out the little panel to use the 2 cable to jump the Frunk open.
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to hide the A23 battery? Or any other suggestions? I have a 2023 MXP and can't find any metal that's magnetic.

I found this post because I'm looking to use the magnetic box to hide a battery in case my 12V dies and I can't open the frunk to jump start it. I've read online horror stories of not being able to open anything once the 12V dies. So my thought is to hide the A23 battery outside the car. And if the 12V dies I could pop out the little panel to use the 2 cable to jump the Frunk open.
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to hide the A23 battery? Or any other suggestions? I have a 2023 MXP and can't find any metal that's magnetic.
Most people just put it in a small bag (to prevent corrosion) and tape it in with the two cables under the tow cover. The Model 3 has plenty of space under the tow cover for this, not sure if same is still true of Model X.