Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin now has Pilot Sport 4s in 245/35-21 with acoustic foam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to make a comment regarding the Michelin tires with foam. If you ever get punctured a tire you have to buy a new tire. I have learned in the hard way. The issue with the tire with foam that normal puncture the tire shop just can easily fix it to plugh it up and polish up the tire internals. They just simply cannot do the same procedure with the foam. Brace they have to remove the foam where is the puncture but in that way the tire become not balanced. So, before you buy tires. With foam think about this.

Any competent shop can patch a tire with foam. It's not difficult, they just cut it back around the patch and glue it back in when finished. Or not. The patch probably weighs about as much as the foam depending upon how the cut it back.

One of the beauties of an electric car is how smooth and quiet the ride is. I don't want to do anything to give up any of that very nice advantage. Also, I secretly enjoy sneaking up on pedestrians and watching them get surprised when they realize there is a car right behind them. :D

The foam is a nightmare if you ever need a patch from a flat from a nail. NEVER buying tires with foam again!!!!
Surprised to hear of nightmare as I had an opposite experience with two flat tires over 6 months. Town Fair Tire located in the northeast carefully cut out the foam at nail hole, plugged/patched hole, then glued back foam. Clearly it was a promotion to get my future business as cost was under $10! Some tire shops have greater experience with Tesla vehicles.

Surprised to hear of nightmare as I had an opposite experience with two flat tires over 6 months. Town Fair Tire located in the northeast carefully cut out the foam at nail hole, plugged/patched hole, then glued back foam. Clearly it was a promotion to get my future business as cost was under $10! Some tire shops have greater experience with Tesla vehicles.
Did they remove the tar like glue that holds the foam on? That was a nightmare for the service station that fixed our flat, but maybe they didn't know what they were doing and they could have patched on top of the "tar"...? o_O

I had my Michelin 21 inch acoustic tire repaired at a Discount Tire in Dallas. It had 2 nails about 3 inches apart. First they used a knife to slice the foam perpendicular to the tire. Two cuts 6 inches apart down to the tire. Then lifted the foam out by prying it with his fingers. There were 4 longitudinal beads of glue that had been holding the foam. Then used a motorized burr wheel to get through the bead of glue and clean the inner surface of the tire at each hole. Then placed a plug in the nail holes, Then rubber cement inside the tire, then 2 patches, then more rubber cement on the edges of the patches. The foam was then glued back, the tire mounted and balanced, so did not matter if tire balance had changed. They always do repairs per recommendation of the tire manufacturer.