Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 22"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a new set and was curious to know if anyone would have any insight on how these would compare in terms of efficiency to the continentals....the Michelin’s are heavier and stickier so I assume the continentals are still the best bet for those looking to maximize range with the 22’s???

Last edited:
I need a new set and was curious to know if anyone would have any insight on how these would compare in terms of efficiency to the continentals....the Michelin’s are heavier and stickier so I assume the continentals are still the best bet for those looking to maximize range with the 22’s???
The Michelins are ~7lbs lighter per corner. This is where the efficiency comes in. In terms of being stickier I'm sure the true impact yet. Temps in the mid-west are still on the mid 40s. Another thing to note: weight removed furthest from the center of rotation will have a bigger impact than weight removed closer to the center of rotation. So best bang for your buck will be new tires vs new brakes or even wheels to some degree.

In comparing to the Conti's. There is really no comparison in my opinion. The Conti are very heavy, louder and not as soft as the Michelins. However with the Conti's you can drive year round and last longer than the Michelins. For me I would rather replace the Michelins every year than drive on Conti's.

The Michelins are ~1 - 4 lbs lighter per corner. This is where the efficiency comes in. In terms of being stickier I'm not sure the true impact yet. Temps in the mid-west are still on the mid 40s. Another thing to note: weight removed furthest from the center of rotation will have a bigger impact than weight removed closer to the center of rotation. So best bang for your buck will be new tires vs new brakes or even wheels to some degree.

In comparing to the Conti's. There is really no comparison in my opinion. The Conti are heavier, louder and not as soft as the Michelins. However with the Conti's you can drive year round and last longer than the Michelins. For me I would rather replace the Michelins every other year than drive on Conti's

The Michelins are ~7lbs lighter per corner. This is where the efficiency comes in. In terms of being stickier I'm sure the true impact yet. Temps in the mid-west are still on the mid 40s. Another thing to note: weight removed furthest from the center of rotation will have a bigger impact than weight removed closer to the center of rotation. So best bang for your buck will be new tires vs new brakes or even wheels to some degree.

In comparing to the Conti's. There is really no comparison in my opinion. The Conti are very heavy, louder and not as soft as the Michelins. However with the Conti's you can drive year round and last longer than the Michelins. For me I would rather replace the Michelins every year than drive on Conti's.

From what I have found the conti’s are lighter by a couple pounds. Though it’s marginal there is not a 7 pound savings per corner with the Michelin’s. I agree with the fact that the 4s is a a superior tire for most applications but the fact that it is summer and probably a stickier tire had me questioning its overall efficiency.

I think I will give them a try and hope for the best :).

Continental

front 26 lbs
Rear 32 lbs

Michelin

front 27 lbs
Rear 33 lbs

From what I have found the conti’s are lighter by a couple pounds. Though it’s marginal there is not a 7 pound savings per corner with the Michelin’s. I agree with the fact that the 4s is a a superior tire for most applications but the fact that it is summer and probably a stickier tire had me questioning its overall efficiency.

I think I will give them a try and hope for the best :).

Continental

front 26 lbs
Rear 32 lbs

Michelin

front 27 lbs
Rear 33 lbs
You are right I confused the conti’s for the OEM Pirelli. So your figures are correct.

The more I research the more I think the Michelin’s won’t be any better than the pirellis in terms of efficiency.

The contact patch of the Michelin’s is higher than both the Pirelli’s and Conti’s. In terms of efficiency wider is definitely not better.

thread width:

Stock 20’s
Front 8.5 in
Rear 8.9 in

Pirelli
Front 9.2
Rear 10.4

Michelin’s
Front 9.8
Rear 11.4

Conti’s
Front 9.1
Rear. 10

Interesting. I'm getting really good numbers on the Michelins almost close to the stock 20s. For example @ 65MPH, no heat I was getting as low as 290wh. Unfortunately I have only driven mine for just over a 200 miles and test was only based on driving 65mph for 5-10 miles at a time. Comparing with the stock Pirelli's the lowest I got was 352. Again this was only based on 5-10 miles tests. Going both directions to offset elevation change and some degree wind direction as well. The contact patch theory is reasonable but I'm not seeing it so far. This could be due to the fact the Michelin's are 7lb lighter than the stock Pirelli's, so perhaps the increased sized in the contact patch is somewhat less a factor than overall weight.

Also interestingly at 80+ mph I did not see much of a difference from the Pirelli's but again I just don't have enough miles to prove the argument.,

The Conti's are basically about the same weight, so the weight should not be a factor. A test with these would be really good to see. Also to note; it's still in the 40s where I am so the stickiness of the Michelins might not be quite where it will be in 80 degree weather.

I really hope you get the Conti's I'm now super curious to see what numbers you get.

• Informative
Reactions: blitzpa
49B9E392-E3C2-42DE-B7B6-064A7F9A7F55.jpeg
C9E629D8-2F65-49FB-B9C4-4BBBA8A23DA5.jpeg
E4BDA9A5-4C28-4033-AD04-9E27E9E5A7CD.jpeg

If you are comparing Michelin's again Conti's. I would say this becomes an economics vs a better driving experience argument. Honestly knowing how versatile the Conti's are; I would say you cannot go wrong either way. My Pirelli's only have about 2000 miles on them but are so heavy I would never consider putting them back on. The efficiency just sucks.

Michelin
Pros:
- quieter ride, better performance (warm months)
Cons:
- Expensive, short life, only good for 6-8 months of the year(depending on where you live), useless in the winter.

Conti's (based on reviews since I don't actually own the tire)
Pros:
- can be used for 12 months of the year, longer lasting, reasonably priced, practical.
Cons:
- not great in summer or winter, louder ride.

So the decision is personal. What do you value most? Me; I still choose Michelin's but would will definitely consider the Conti's in the future once I'm tired of paying $1600 every 1 - 2 years.

It's EXTREMELY better. I barely hear the road, and barely feel any bumps at all. Literally if the Pirelli's made 6/10 road noise (10 being loudest), the Michelin PS4S are like a 2/10 or maybe even a 1/10.

Comfort, they're about 2x as smooth. There are brick roads and potholes I have to drive over every day and I rarely feel them anymore. Seriously, these are the best tires for this car (as long as you don't live somewhere where it snows more than 2-3 days a year).

@spectrum and/or @elitsav, would you mind posting some pictures of the tires installed? I'm assuming they look wider than factory and extend past the wheel like other Michellin PS tires but am not sure.