Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor damage from hit-and-run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our way to dinner tonight in a heavy rain storm, a 4 door full size pickup truck pulling an enclosed trailer left their lane and tapped our Model X on the left rear wheel well trim piece, cracking it.

We were on a 3-lanes each way surface road, lots of water on the road. I was in the center lane, the pickup truck was in the left lane, going probably about 45 miles per hour. He hit some deeper water and started coming over into my lane. I laid on the horn while moving into the right lane (which was thankfully empty), but he still hit my rear left wheel well, we hear a loud snap. I got behind him and honked and flashed my lights, but he sped up and tried to lose us. We followed for a good 15 minutes and debated calling the police while we followed, but we were not 100% sure at that point if he had hit us. We decided to stop following after he kept driving quite fast through the still heavy rain and I was getting concerned with our safety, especially with the kids in the car. We went to our original destination, and surveyed the damage. It appears only the rear left rear wheel well trim got hit. We decided to still call the police and file a report, the officer who responded said we did the right thing even though the damage was minor, no telling why he didn't stop. He says he doesn't know what the outcome will be, we gave him the trailer's and the truck's license plates, and he said they would follow up. I have a business card and a case number.

Still on MCU1/AP2.0, so no Tesla cam videos. I do have a forward facing dash cam, but that would not have recorded the hit itself, only the aftermath. I will look at the footage in a bit.

As far as the damage, any ideas on how much to fix? I have worked on cars before, so if I can get the part, I can do it myself. Or I could leave as is, you probably won't even notice it unless it was pointed out to you. I have Progressive for my insurance, with a $1000 deductible, so probably not worth making a claim myself. Do I even tell my insurance company about it?

I assume if they track him down, and he has insurance, that insurance would pay for the repair, without a deductible? A have a nagging feeling that not having insurance could be a reason why they didn't stop. 7:30PM seemed too early to be drunk, and they didn't drive like a drunk person. I have no doubt he knew he hit me, and was trying to lose me.

20200216_194050.jpg