Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit & Run: Tesla Insurance vs Tesla collision center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kook

Feb 11, 2022
USA
My car got hit while parked. The other driver scratched my car and fled. Got everything on dash cam (sentry mode).
Filed in a police report online. Opened a claim with Tesla insurance. Everything happened on Saturday so Tesla adjuster don't work and i will have to wait till Monday.
Already schedule appointment at Tesla Collision Center Oceanside. Collision center manager already reached out and informed me that they have no idea who my insurance provider is, claim and so on.

Questions:

1. Am i making a mistake by brining my car to Tesla Collision Center Oceanside? Is it really that bad? And maybe before it's too late just go to a authorized body shop instead?
2. I suspect Tesla Insurance will try to make me pay deductible? How do i deal with that? What else to pay attention to?
3. I filed police report online and gave them other car make and license plate, should i go to the police station and bring them dash cam recording? Do i need to find a USB stick to transfer videos to and give it to them or can i just air drop from my phone?
4. How can i file diminished value claim? What data to collect from Tesla insurance & body shop?
5. Anything else i should worry about?

Thank you!

IMG_0277.jpeg
IMG_0274.jpeg
IMG_0263.jpeg

2. If your insurance pays for the repair then sure deductible will be used. If the other car's insurance pays for the repair then you won't have deductible.
Let your your insurance work with the other car's insurance.
3. Copy the relevant files from the USB on the car to another USB then bring the later to the police. Not everyone can do air drop.

File the police report and show them the dashcam footage of the other vehicle hitting your car, along with the license plates of the vehicle. Have the repair center, pull the bumper to make sure all the mounting clips, sensors, any battery radiator fans on that side are not damaged. You don't want rattles and messed up FSD experience.

As for my hit and run, had it all on camera as well. The NYS cops took my statement, watched the cam videos, and drove to the hit and run drivers home at 2AM in the morning to talk with him about the accident. The other driver admitted to the hit and run when the cops told him they saw the video of him getting into the driver side of his car, stopping when he hit my bumper (like yours but more damage), pulling forward instead of backing up to prevent further damage, and fleeing the scene.

His insurance, GEICO, called the following business day and said they would accept ALL charges for the repairs (including my deductible), any rental charges I incur, and cost for replacement of the XPEL Ultimate PPF.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I'm in this boat now, but it was a rear ender that the person did not wait to pull over and just left. I have the license plate, but it is in NJ which for some reason is able to hide that info from the insurance company.

How do you file a police report online? I'm also in CA and I believe it would be in the CHP jurisdiction.