Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitsubishi i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shorter range EVs work well in Japan where they have ubiquitous CHAdeMO fast charge. You just do frequent 10 or 15 minute fast charges to drive indefinitely around the country.

In Japan there are currently two trim levels available...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The all-electric range is 100 miles (160 km) on the Japanese test cycle.[23] Two additional trim levels will be available in Japan beginning in late July 2011, the entry-level “M” with a 10.5 kWhbattery pack has a reduced range of 120 kilometres (75 mi), and the higher-level "G" with the same a 16.0 kWh battery as the original i-MiEV has a range of 180 kilometres (110 mi). The "G" trim will be available by mid August.[24]

The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) official range for the 2012 model year American "i" version is 100 kilometres (62 mi) based on the five-cycle tests using varying driving conditions and climate controls. Under the LA4 driving cycle for city conditions, EPA's rated range is 98 miles (158 km).[16][17] According to the carmaker, the city range of the 2012 Mitsubishi i was improved as compared to the previous i-MiEV versions, through software upgrades and a revamped regenerative braking system.[16]

Indeed with all the Chademo charge points all over the place you can pretty much go anywhere in Japan in both the iMiev and Leaf without much problem. The Japanese expressway system has embraced Chademo and is installing charge points at highway service areas which are generally spaced out at about 10 mile intervals on an extensive network of roads which connect all major cities. Tesla has put up close to 30 HPC's around the country as well, but unfortunately to get to them you need to exit the highways and drive a least several miles and sometimes more to get to them.