Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector warm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mobile connector is plugged into a 14-50 outlet and seemingly works fine. However, the chassis is warm to the touch (not hot) even when not charging my MY. Is this normal? I’ve never used a 240v outlet before so I wasn’t sure if things tend to remain warm when plugged into these outlets. Thanks!

When not plugged into the Tesla's charging port no high current can flowing through the Mobile Connector, just a few watts of power to energize the circuitry. The Mobile Connector chassis could feel warm to the touch after charging has been completed or the garage could be warm.

Here is a link to the Gen2 Mobile Connector Owner's Manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

You want to be sure that the Mobile Connector chassis is not left hanging supported only by the plug adapter. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall mount for the chassis (see 2nd, 3rd photos for the chassis mount): Cable Organizer

You can find similar cable organizer kits on Amazon or make your own.

Lastly, don't regularly plug and unplug the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter from the 14-50 receptacle as you might with a standard 5-15 plug and receptacle. This type 240V high amperage receptacle is not designed for a high volume of plug and unplug operations.