Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y not charging with wall charger, but 3 charges perfectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a new Y yesterday and when I plugged in my 3 charger to the Y, it flashes amber (and then is solid amber) and I get a message the charging cable is not secure. My 2019 3 charges fine but the Y isn't charging at all. I am using a 240V dryer outlet in my garage connected to the mobile charger and cable that came with the 3. I tried in a regular outlet as well, the 3 charges but the Y doesn't. What can be the problem? Thanks.

It sounds like the locking mechanism is not latching. Or, you did not insert the plug fully into the charge port.

If it is feasible, bring your vehicle to the service center to talk to an advisor immediately. They should be able to take care of it that day. Open up a trouble ticket via the Tesla app as well.

Try to park the two cars side by side so you can see into the charge ports. Look at the 3, then look at the Y. Do they look exactly the same, I mean the pins.
What about the charging plug? Anything stuck inside?

A 2019, M3 could have a broken dead front pin. So the broken piece ends up in the charge plug. So plugging into the 3, the dead front pin, makes contact. But when you plug into the Y, the broken pin is in the way.

Also try another L2 charger with the Y, if there is one nearby. Perhaps a neighbor?

Try to park the two cars side by side so you can see into the charge ports. Look at the 3, then look at the Y. Do they look exactly the same, I mean the pins.
What about the charging plug? Anything stuck inside?

A 2019, M3 could have a broken dead front pin. So the broken piece ends up in the charge plug. So plugging into the 3, the dead front pin, makes contact. But when you plug into the Y, the broken pin is in the way.

Also try another L2 charger with the Y, if there is one nearby. Perhaps a neighbor?
Yes, we hear of this quite a bit. What happens is the plastic guide around the pin in the car's inlet breaks off and stays in the plug. As long as you're plugging into the car it broke off of, it fits, but when you try to plug into a new car, the broken piece jams. Sometimes you can fish the broken piece out of the plug with a needle or toothpick with superglue on it. Other people have been able to tap the plug on the floor and get it to come out.

Afterwards, it will work in both cars again, although the broken inlet should get replaced.

I saw it once at a Supercharger. A piece of someone's charge port was stuck in the plug and as a result I couldn't charge. Nothing I had could dislodge it, and I had to back out and wait for another to open up.