Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Model Y soon! Wheels/tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
correction: i recently came across several posts saying the biggest overall diameter is 29 inches. although I did find one post saying 29.3 inches

could not edit my previous post.
I'm running 235/60r18 which are supposed to be 29.1' I think... but offset and tire construction can probably make some differences for clearances... pretty sure people have gotten 29.5 and still cleared the knuckle

The first thing I did after getting my new 2023 Model Y Performance was put TSportline's 18" wheel package on it. It's a bit pricey but they have the pressure sensors in them and it's an easy swap. And while I Iike the look of the Uberturbine wheels, I don't like rubber band tires and wanted more beefy sidewalls for wheel protection. And since the tires stick out more than the wheels, they also protect them from curb rash. They also give a less harsh ride. This wheel package has improved the Performance's range because they are smaller and lighter, but they don't look out of place and actually look really good on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    650 KB · Views: 28
Within the next month, I plan to be the owner of a new Model Y! I’m pretty excited
I’ve been researching as much as I can, but feeling overwhelmed with wheel and tire information. So, can you help me out here? Sit down for a quick chat! :)

My plan is to order the LR-AWD with basic wheels and replace. I live in the central US. I rarely drive in snow. Just need a decent tire for normal driving conditions with occasional rain.

How much benefit to Range and comfort is there by going to 18in wheels?
What tires would you recommend for 18s

How much range will I lose going to say a 20” wheel, or a 21” ? Does getting a forged wheel help mitigate the effects?

Tire recommendations for 20/21s??

Thanks so much for reading and maybe even responding
I took delivery of a MYLR mid-January. I bought it with the Gemini wheels, delivered with Pirelli Scorpion tires. I like the wheel/tire combination a lot. The car feels glued to the road at all times. While I am on the highway I have found road noise to be minimal. The ride is comfortable enough for me (given the relatively stiff suspension), though I have little basis for comparison. If you haven't yet taken delivery, why not take one with the Geminis and drive the car for a couple or three months before thinking about spending your hard earned on other wheels?

Reactions: cxone
I have read a few posts of folks putting Model 318's on Model Y with all season tyres at 255/55. The offset is 40mm putting them 5mm closer to the guards. Apparently fine by all reports.

The ones I am looking at have the 750kg rating same as the 21's and 20's I believe. No worries there. Max load on the Y is 1500kg on the back axle.

255/55R18 is a 3% over size which is within tolerance of the NZ inspectors. They pack a sad over width so I can't do 235/60 or 245/55 and 255/50 is an unobtanium size here.

They say they get around fine in American snow so should do ok here.

Question time.

Push comes to shove it looks like there should be enough room in the rear arches for snow chains at 29" tall wheel x255 plus chains. Anyone know for sure? Not socks. Chunky SUV Pewags.

I have read a few posts of folks putting Model 318's on Model Y with all season tyres at 255/55. The offset is 40mm putting them 5mm closer to the guards. Apparently fine by all reports.

The ones I am looking at have the 750kg rating same as the 21's and 20's I believe. No worries there. Max load on the Y is 1500kg on the back axle.

255/55R18 is a 3% over size which is within tolerance of the NZ inspectors. They pack a sad over width so I can't do 235/60 or 245/55 and 255/50 is an unobtanium size here.

They say they get around fine in American snow so should do ok here.

Question time.

Push comes to shove it looks like there should be enough room in the rear arches for snow chains at 29" tall wheel x255 plus chains. Anyone know for sure? Not socks. Chunky SUV Pewags.
i would think so there seems to be plenty of room in the rear the only problem with the front is the steering knuckle gets close otherwise there is room for like 30" tire or more

Reactions: Skavatar