Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 7.2” Rear Entertainment Display Install and Honest Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone looking for one with 4gB of ram . Mine does seem to have it :D

PXL_20230504_065107695.jpg

PXL_20230504_064909588.jpg

Reactions: SuperDave
Just curious, I purchased this screen and it looks great and was easy to install. I have one small issue, When I try emulators and some games, the audio doesn't pass through bluetooth to the car, even though it passes through while watching YouTube or playing music. Is there a setting I'm missing to allow the audio to pass through the car for certain games and emulators? I paired an Xbox controller through bluetooth as well and that works well with the games. One thing I might try is to find a wired 3.5mm jack headphones and try that through the Xbox control, but I haven't tried that yet because I just have to locate an old wired headset. Just curious if anyone else that has this screen has experienced this audio issue.

What other apps work on this display besides YouTube and Netflix? Does apps like Disney+, HBO Max, Paramount, Hulu, Peacock, etc… work on this display? I’m close to purchasing this but wasn’t sure what else is available on this display?

Also, has anyone tried pairing a Bluetooth speaker to this display? Curious if there is a lag with audio going to a Bluetooth speaker.

Thanks in advance.

On the topic of the 7.2" rear display, if you want to customize the boot logo and lock screen background ie. remove the Hansshow logos, you can do this:
  1. Download the update file (tsl_hx_update.upd) from the product page.
  2. The tsl_hx_update.upd is just a zip file, replace the android_logo.png, boot_logo.png & system/etc/dzt/lock_bg.png inside the .upd file without unzipping it.
  3. Copy your modified tsl_hx_update.upd file to a thumb drive and plug it into the rear display, it'll apply the update.
  4. Enjoy your own logos/background on the rear display.
Source and more detailed steps here.

/edit, I just realised OP has a unit by Satonic, but it looks exactly the same as the Hansshow one so I suspect these steps still work but your mileage may vary.
Just tried this on my "Satonic" branded unit, and it worked fine, got rid of those horrible logos. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Reactions: PauliePucks
Get ready for a new display
Curiously, it seems 2023.26.7 has been widely released, my car is still on 2023.20.9 with no updates in sight and I have the rear screen installed 😟
the update issue was with the first generation of these displays (8 inch floating tablet style variant) Tesla didn’t like the method of canbus communication it used and it would not allow updates.

Tesla’s software update distribution system is irrational at best lol they’ll come eventually, but none of these recent variants should impede your ability to receive updates.

In addition - there is a NEW version of the 7.2 display launching shortly, I believe it has vents above and below the screen this time as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack and an external speaker. Will be available in carbon fiber and OEM colorway this go around as well.

For some reason my car didn't seem like it was checking for updates automatically. Every time I do the two thumb reset it does an update check and I see the last checked time update. Today I decided to do another reset again and sure enough, it found the update and is downloading it now.

Hopefully this update behaviour is just a bug in 2023.20.9 and is fixed in 2023.26.7 🤞🏻

Reactions: PauliePucks
I saw it on their website that says you would need to remove 2 tabs since screen already comes with tabs installed
so i think tab over existing tab make those gaps
I don't have screen on my M3 but that was what I recall
I hope this would help
Yes I have tried removing those 2 metal tabs but didn't seem to work.. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks!