Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery - Gaps, missing paperwork, missed tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I ordered my M3 on 12/28 and it was delivered on the 30th, so I should have made the tax deadline. I just now received another bill for the car that I traded in, which seems odd. I've gotten nothing about the lien being paid off.

That said, at delivery, there was a gap on the frunk that they noted they'd fix. Fine.

A few days later, I noticed that the driver's door is more forward than the passenger's side and there's gap in the dash. Then I noticed that there's more "black" on the windshield on the right. Then I noticed that it looks like the front of the left door rubs against the quarter panel. All kinds of problems. When I got it, they had to truck it in from a nearby location and it had 40 miles on it. My assumption at the time was that this was due to the transfer. I had also noticed a couple blotches that looked like work had been done. I'm curious now as to whether work was done that they didn't disclose, or there's some actual underlying issue.

I've contacted Tesla to have repairs made and I'm confident they'll fix everything in question.

Fast forward. They called me a couple of days ago and told me my "DMV papers" were accidentally destroyed and I need to sign them again. They were even willing to come to my place of work to have me do that. As a follow up, I checked my Tesla account and my "purchase agreement" is only my order agreement. There's no signed purchase agreement available.

So, all of this said, I have a couple questions that maybe someone can answer:

1. If there's no record of sale before the new year, do I now miss out on tax credits?
2. Do I have any leverage with regards to the issues noted above, now that it doesn't seem like they've any paperwork? I don't think I would, but could I essentially refuse delivery at this point and demand a car without those issues? I don't want to do this but I wonder what my options are?
3. Does this also imply they've not been able to pay off my other car, and I'm now eating the cost of two cars while waiting? I guess I could call the earlier lender and find out.

I have a service appointment tomorrow -- for what was supposed to be a simple frunk fix and a paper signing. Any advice on how I should handle this? I'm not angry at the, just kind of disappointed.

..."DMV papers" were accidentally destroyed and I need to sign them again...

1) The new signatures should reflect the original date because it's a reproduction of the original papers that were destroyed.

2) If all dates are officially from the reproduced papers are "2019" then, of course, you missed the tax credit. In that case, Tesla has public announced that they would pick up the tab.

So, you should get your money either by 1) or 2)

...essentially refuse delivery at this point...

Tesla's return policy is 24 hours for those who took a test drive and 3 days for those who did not. So at this point, you are not covered by that policy.

...Does this also imply they've not been able to pay off my other car...

If they lost your paper then this is expected. Tesla should take over your payment from the original date of delivery.

...I'm curious now as to whether work was done that they didn't disclose, or there's some actual underlying issue...

Traditional dealerships do this all the time. They wouldn't disclose what was wrong that needed repairs prior to a new delivery.

However, Tesla is not "traditional". They often just leave the imperfections for you to discover or they'll call you saying something like they need to delay your delivery because a young intern made a dent on your door...

You'll be fine. Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
those issues not relating to the date of purchase but of imperfections of the car will go on a due bill that tesla will complete with you. then they'll fix the issues to your satisfaction. i see the horror threads like everyone else but they do typically end with a resolved issue and happy driver.

it does suck that a lot of us that who took delivery recently have due bills for things to be repaired, hopefully they get better at delivering large quantities without as much "logistical" scarring to the cars moving forward.

I hope I’m not hijacking this thread, but how long do we have to get Tesla to adjust panels for us? I’ve had my M3 for just over 4 weeks. About 2 weeks in I discovered the trunk is a bit off, the gap on the driver side is much bigger than the other. One headlight also has a slightly bigger gap than the other but it’s not nearly as bad as the trunk.

I hope I’m not hijacking this thread, but how long do we have to get Tesla to adjust panels for us? I’ve had my M3 for just over 4 weeks. About 2 weeks in I discovered the trunk is a bit off, the gap on the driver side is much bigger than the other. One headlight also has a slightly bigger gap than the other but it’s not nearly as bad as the trunk.

I don't know why it would be limited? If I find more issues, I'll bring them up.

Tesla did a great job addressing all of my issues today. Super impressed with the local service team and kind of embarrassed I let it bother me as I did!

As Olds442 up there alluded to, I think reading the horror stories put me on edge!

My body shop appointment isn't until 2/18 and I've added on multiple items (including a panel gap issue) and Tesla has been adding them to my Due Bill without question.