Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2024 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to another Tesla rep. yesterday afternoon, same story, they told me to talk to the IRS, I told the guy that the IRS indicates that they seller needs to provide the information to them and the buyer, that I was just asking for a copy of a obligation they have.
I asked to talk to the supervisor, after 20min of waiting, the supervisor answers, I told him a need a copy of the 15400 that I have requested several times in the website, he said that the system bla bla bla, he asked me to send a screenshot of the documents list. Once he saw the screenshot, he said he was going to process the form manually and that I should get it on Wednesday the latest. Now I need to wait.
I have good news to report, a Tesla rep called me, asked a couple of information including my SSN, and he emailed me the 15400. Is dated 4/9/24, way beyond the deadline. We submitted our taxes and our preparer attached a PDF of the form. At least we have a copy in case the IRS don’t have the info.
I hope this helps anyone missing the form.

Reactions: DomDeWild and mongo
I have good news to report, a Tesla rep called me, asked a couple of information including my SSN, and he emailed me the 15400. Is dated 4/9/24, way beyond the deadline. We submitted our taxes and our preparer attached a PDF of the form. At least we have a copy in case the IRS don’t have the info.
I hope this helps anyone missing the form.
Thanks for the info. I purchased a 2024 MY on 1/30/2024 and did receive the full $7500 point of sale (POS) credit. However, I also never got a 15400 form from Tesla so I guess I'll be contacting them. I agree you probably don't need to include it in your tax return, but we are supposed to get one. In my Tesla account I did get a "Clean Vehicle Seller Report" which has some of the form 15400 info, but not everything you need and not the form itself.

It's been awhile since new info has been posted so here are a few comments...

The IRS keeps updating their Clean Vehicle Fact Sheet with the latest version dated 4/18/2024 and it can be downloaded here.

I have a question which is related to EVs purchased in 2024 with a POS credit. The Fact Sheet says you need to still file form 8936 in your 2024 tax return even though you already got a POS credit. There is a potential problem with that because I don't see anything in the TY2023 form 8936 which let's you avoid claiming a second $7500 credit. Just filing the 8936 causes another credit. Hopefully the TY2024 version of form 8936 will let you check a box stating you already received a $7500 POS credit and are NOT requesting another $7500 credit (or have a check box to assign the credit to the dealer). I don't want to do anything which could lead to an audit and appearing to claim two $7500 credits may not help.

I usually use H&R Block software and in the 2023 version it is possible to edit out the $7500 credit from the 8936 without doing an override. If you override anything in H&R Block the software will not let you efile and that forces you to paper file instead. But in this case I was able to just delete the $7500 without having to override. But hopefully there will be something better in the 2024 version to address this issue. Even zeroing out the $7500 credit can create confusion.

Any other suggestions about how to avoid claiming two credits? Maybe I missed it on the current form 8936?

In 2023, my AGI was below the $300k MFJ limit. I'm purchasing a Model 3 in 2024 and intend to take the POS tax credit. It is possible that my AGI exceeds $300k this year (2024). If it does exceed the limit, will I have to repay the tax credit when I file my 2024 taxes in early 2025?
You will be fine, you can qualify for the 2024 POS credit with your 2023 AGI.

Reactions: mongo and pdx_m3s
I just spoke to tesla in Philadelphia. After some research he came back to me and explained that the sales tax is applied on the price

After the $4000 tax credit is applied.

So I now have a very large car dealer in VA and the tesla dealership in Philadelphia agreeing that if I'm not paying $25000 I am not on the hook for state sales tax on the full amount.

The tesla rep said the used car team would send me documents that confirm this is how the tax situation should work in 2024 with the changes made whereby dealers get free money directly from the government.

I will share/upload same once I receive it.

To new tesla buyer's are you paying state sales tax on the full purchase amount?

Just curious.

Not sure why folks here are so snarky in their replies all I'm trying to do is understand what the rules are and learn and share.

And no I'm not trying to cheat on my taxes owed.

So if you want to slam me for investigating and sharing please move along.
Just a final update on this issue for used Tesla buyers (at least those in PA). I just paid my sales tax at the largest Notary in the county I live in, and I selected them because when I explained my issue, about what is the "Sales Price" used for calculating "Sales Tax owed" in PA ,

she laughed when I explained how one dealer in VA said "Tax due on actual price you Paid" after the Federal rebate applied, and a Second Dealer in Va insisted that ... I must pay tax on the full purchase price.

I finally got my title, from the VA dealer today, and took all my paperwork in, and paid "Sales Tax on the $ out of my pocket paid to the dealer in VA".

IE, exactly as I posted, I pay sales tax on the used car price AFTER the guberment subsidizes my used car purchase (Sell price of $25K, minus $4k).

So flame away on how stupid my local Notary is (with 15 fancy offices in my county).. and how I am going to be sent a tax bill from PA for not sending them $240 extra to pay tax on the $4000 used car tax credit that comes from the federal bucket, direct to the dealer in 2024, with zero input from me .

Of course.. if they send me a bill, I will happily send them the extra cash..

But.. I am not going to send them an email and say.. hey.. my notary/dealer made a mistake can you please issue a refund for the extra tax you received.

That ain't happening ever in today's world LOL

on the $4000 used car tax credit that comes from the federal bucket, direct to the dealer in 2024, with zero input from me .
That's not how it works. You have to request the credit and the dealer is supposed to give it to you, or, at your request, apply it as additional down payment.
For buyers: The payment made by the registered dealer to the buyer in the form of a cash payment, down payment or partial down payment is not includible in the gross income of the buyer. Such payment made by the registered dealer is treated as an advance payment of the credit to the buyer on behalf of the Secretary of the Treasury and the basis of such vehicle is reduced by the amount of such credit
https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2024-14.pdf