Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We switched from Prius to HW1 Model X 2 years ago when my wife got ‘the new car’. I drove the 2010 Prius for 2 years and then pulled the trigger on the Model 3.
Once you go Tesla, you NEVER go back! It is just too NICE of a driving experience. You’re family, however, may hate (will envy) you!
The driving experience gets better with upgrades. I was able to experience Navigation on Autopilot on a highway today and I tell you with great joy how much better this semi-autonomous experience has become over the past two years!
The dilemma is that the active driving is so much fun that it is hard to ‘give it up’ to the semi-autonomous computer! (Oh, such trouble we have! :))

I'm in the Get the Tesla camp. Truly an amazing car, and if you get the $7500 rebate, your car effectively depreciates less the in first months than one delivered in January. So let's say you feel the model 3 was not for you, you can sell it for $7500 less than you bought it and break even.the guy who gets his in January has to sell his for $3200 more than yours.

But honestly, it's hard to explain how much more an EV is to drive. The Model 3 is so much more of a driving experience that you will have no regrets.

I test drove the model S over 3 years ago when Tesla brought cars to my local mall. I knew at the time my next car would be a Tesla. Stood in line the very first day to put the deposit down on the M3; took 2 years (almost to the day) to get my car (March 2018).

Best car I have ever driven!

My wife drives it a little on the weekends. One day she came home from work and notified me that something was wrong with her car (Toyota Sienna). She thought it was the transmission. Her car had no pick up. I drove it and it was fine. The thing is, it HAS a transmission. It has good pick up. For an ICE. The thing is, it's not a Tesla. And once you drive a Tesla, it is really hard to drive anything else.

Agreed. It truly is something that makes you look at and experience the transportation element of ones life differently.
Exactly. At 68 I've driven over a million miles, have owned a number of Mercedes, a Porsche, and lots of Fords, Chevy's, VWs, etc. Every time I get in my M3 is an absolute wonder. It will change your life in a way no other "car" could.

Exactly. At 68 I've driven over a million miles, have owned a number of Mercedes, a Porsche, and lots of Fords, Chevy's, VWs, etc. Every time I get in my M3 is an absolute wonder. It will change your life in a way no other "car" could.

couldn't have said it better.....I'm 60 and have never owned an American made car. This thing is beyond wonderful, it's truly a "Kodak" moment. I'm not only so proud that something this good came out of the U.S., but I can't imagine ever ever ever ever buying an auto with an engine again, for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I detect a larger issue than a car selection issue. You seem concerned as to your son’s driving safety. Sorry but all cars are inherently unsafe as engineers can only do so much. In effect, cars are engineered to pass a test. Beyond those parameter, well, there cannot be “standards.” The focus needs to be on the driver. AAA offer several driving safety/teen courses and car tracks/advanced driving schools offer advanced courses. I’ve taken several and they are excellent training. Tesla vehicles are all high performance vehicles and the seduction of power/torque can be strong. Whatever vehicle is your choice, and I own a non Tesla EV, I strongly recommend a track based training course. The most important safety item in a car is the driver. Good luck. Thanks