Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Door Sound Proofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've noticed that my driver side door trim panel rattles at certain vibrations (on the road and using a tone generating app) I wanted to line the edge of the plastic with something so that it doesn't rattle against the metal. Just to be clear, the sound is coming from the interior door plastic housing rubbing against the metal door frame. When I put pressure on the plastic door housing, the sound disappears. What's the best type of product to use? Should I use rubber? Should I use a neoprene adhesive product? I've seen something called a car door trim pinch seal strip. Whatever I use, I don't want it to introduce new sounds, so Im hoping that the product I use won't cause new squeaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Has the door panel been off before? Sounds like the panel is not fastened to the car properly. It could have also been assembled wrong at the factory.

I would take the panel off, if you haven't already, and check the fasteners are are all there. Actually if you are going to take the panel off, you would be wise to get a new set of push-fasteners from Tesla to make sure that the panel is held on correctly.

There's plenty of YT videos showing how to take the panel off if you haven't done it before.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
If you're 100% sure that the rattle is the door card vibrating or rubbing against the metal, get some felt tape and wedge it between. If it's not tight enough and the felt falls out, pull the door card off and stick the felt tape onto the metal. The felt tape can be applied such that it is barely visible when you reinstall the door card. Place some masking tape down before taking the door card off so you have a reference point to apply the felt.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
If you're 100% sure that the rattle is the door card vibrating or rubbing against the metal, get some felt tape and wedge it between. If it's not tight enough and the felt falls out, pull the door card off and stick the felt tape onto the metal. The felt tape can be applied such that it is barely visible when you reinstall the door card. Place some masking tape down before taking the door card off so you have a reference point to apply the felt.
Ive tried felt tape on the seatbelt buckle because asI as drive without a passenger I can hear it rattle. With the felt tape I can hear the sound of the felt rubbing against the seat. Im hoping that whatever I use for the interior door panel won't cause its own noise.