Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 For Sale: Owned by deceased family member

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for your loss. IANAL, but I'd work with your family attorney and Tesla to provide documentation and get the car transferred to their estate and then sold.

Good luck.
thanks but ownership/estate is not an issue. owner is survived by spouse and each bought a 3. I'm just hoping that someone waiting for a new 3 in time to take advantage of tax benefits will be interested in purchase.

The initial buyer would get the tax credit. Assuming the surviving spouse is filing jointly and has enough tax liability to claim the credit, there should be no credit lost there. Accordingly, you'll need to factor that credit into the selling price. I don't think Tesla is going to give you a good deal on it, but if you list it for sale here at a reasonable price, it will likely sell quickly and with little or no loss in value after factoring the tax credit.

Welcome and I'm saddened to hear about your family member.

You will have a better chance of selling the car here if you post the details of the car (or a pic of the Monroney sticker if you aren't sure) along with a lot of pics of the car itself.

Also, the prevailing sentiment is that reducing the price by some or all of the federal tax credit amount is appropriate. This is because the credit is available only to the original buyer, and at this point, the wait time for a new RWD model 3 is so short the "have it now" premium is not worth much. Of course you never know if the right buyer will come along.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a forum for Tesla enthusiasts, so people here, on the whole, tend to be more informed, prepared, and patient than your average car buyer. However we're also a pretty nice group so if you need help, lots here are willing.

Also, the prevailing sentiment is that reducing the price by some or all of the federal tax credit amount is appropriate

I will be accused of beating a dead horse but I don't subscribe to that notion - your buyer pool might be reduced to those that would normally be able to take advantage of that deduction and the extra cash to afford new but it is far from a given.

Try givemethevin or vroom or shift to if you want the most frictionless way to sell; I did when upgrading a RWD to Performance and I thought I got a perfectly fair deal for a 6mos old car w/6500 miles on it - it was in perfect condition.

Sorry for your loss and good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
vehicle in Bergen county.

You will have a better chance of selling the car here if you post the details of the car (or a pic of the Monroney sticker if you aren't sure) along

You will have a better chance of selling the car here if you post the details of the car (or a pic of the Monroney sticker if you aren't sure) along with a lot of pics of the car itself.

Also, the prevailing sentiment is that reducing the price by some or all of the federal tax credit amount is appropriate. This is because the credit is available only to the original buyer, and at this point, the wait time for a new RWD model 3 is so short the "have it now" premium is not worth much. Of course you never know if the right buyer will come along.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a forum for Tesla enthusiasts, so people here, on the whole, tend to be more informed, prepared, and patient than your average car buyer. However we're also a pretty nice group so if you need help, lots here are willing.
What are the options and price of the car?

vehicle in Bergen county. nj
I'll do my best to post photos and mulroney statement here.
20180823_211730(1).jpg
tesla 3 red photo 4.jpg
20180819_180925.jpg
tesla red 3 photo 2.jpg
20180819_180950.jpg
tesla3.jpg
tesla3.jpg
20180823_211730(1).jpg
tesla 3 red photo 4.jpg
20180819_180925.jpg
tesla red 3 photo 2.jpg
20180819_180950.jpg