Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front hood damage in fender bender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I recently had the misfortune of a fender bender while driving in the bay area. My car was cut off somewhat aggressively in traffic and ended up rear ending the car in front of me. When the accident happened, it looked like everything was ok and no damage, but when I got home, it looks like the hood has been bent and the frunk black plastic trim inside unclipped/popped up a bit. The front bumper looks scratched but bent back into its original shape, I think.

What do you guys think? Can the hood be bent back into normal shape? Is this a DIY thing? Any experience with something similar here? Would hate to have to replace multiple parts and spend thousands of dollars...

Attachments

• IMG_5932.jpg
    IMG_5932.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 129
I guess another question here is, how do I check if the sensors in the front bumper are working properly? I do rely on autopilot a good bit, so hoping this wont be some ongoing issue? Can the Tesla service people run diagnostics on the sensors?

Hey everyone, I recently had the misfortune of a fender bender while driving in the bay area. My car was cut off somewhat aggressively in traffic and ended up rear ending the car in front of me. When the accident happened, it looked like everything was ok and no damage, but when I got home, it looks like the hood has been bent and the frunk black plastic trim inside unclipped/popped up a bit. The front bumper looks scratched but bent back into its original shape, I think.

What do you guys think? Can the hood be bent back into normal shape? Is this a DIY thing? Any experience with something similar here? Would hate to have to replace multiple parts and spend thousands of dollars...
It all depends on your level of confidence with a DIY repair. I really could not see the damage except for the first photo where it seems like there is a depression from the driver side "dent" (for lack of a better term) due to the reflections. A PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) shop most likely could fix it. My Caveat here is that it may have damaged the underlying structure of the Frunk. If you look underneath, I looked at mine, there are some structural things that may have been either misaligned or damaged in some way. You should take it to Tesla for their thoughts AND a PDR shop and get quotes from both.

Tesla can do some sort of diagnostic to see if it is working I believe.
Maybe, take it to a PDR place.
I agree! See what your local PDR place can do but at the same time see what Tesla says. Compare the two quotes. It "MAY" be that there is some sort of damage to your front sensors but I am not certain your PDR place can evaluate that. Tesla better be able to.

Fortunately it "seems" like a minor issue but without having it evaluated properly you will not know.

EDIT: after looking at the pics in full screen I cannot tell if the car was dirty or not. What I did see is that the gaps from the quarter panels seem to be larger than what we have on our car. If this is the case, you should get an opinion (other than mine lol) but if those gaps were there previously I think it is something that you should ask Tesla about for a quote and again PDR shop.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I recently had the misfortune of a fender bender while driving in the bay area. My car was cut off somewhat aggressively in traffic and ended up rear ending the car in front of me [...] when I got home, it looks like the hood has been bent and the frunk black plastic trim inside unclipped/popped up a bit. The front bumper looks scratched but bent back into its original shape, I think.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it could be either a bent funk lid, or the bumper trim that now sticks a bit higher than it used to.
This is unlikely to be a DIY repair.

If the aluminum frunk is bent, you can try googling for local PDR (paintless dent repair) Pros and ask them for a quote to bend it back into shape. Expect a quote around $250-500.
Alternatively, replacing the lid will include repainting the entire front end. Tesla doesn't sell pre-painted body panels, only plastic bumper pieces. So you will be looking at a 1-2 month wait time at a Tesla-certified body shop, then an over-charged labor & parts estimate that is likely to add-up to $3-5K (all bodyshop work on Tesla is over-charged). Basically, it will be an insurance claim, where you loose the comprehensive deductible and insurance pays the rest.
If the vehicle you rear-ended is making this an insurance claim against you anyway, you might as well FWD to the insurance approach. Otherwise, you have options.

My Caveat here is that it may have damaged the underlying structure of the Frunk. If you look underneath, I looked at mine, there are some structural things that may have been either misaligned or damaged in some way. You should take it to Tesla for their thoughts AND a PDR shop and get quotes from both.

If of the sensors (radar, bumper ultrasonic parking sensors) are damaged, you will get errors right away.
A valet had nudged the nose of our Model 3 before returning it to my wife during a rain storm. There was hardly any visible damage to the bumper and nothing on the frunk, but the radar bracket broke and AP stopped working on the drive home. Long story short, we only pieced this together after taking the car to a Tesla SC.

Electronics in Tesla are very fragile. Keep an eye on the error codes for the next few days.
If nothing lights up, you should be in the clear.

HTH,
a

I guess another question here is, how do I check if the sensors in the front bumper are working properly? I do rely on autopilot a good bit, so hoping this wont be some ongoing issue? Can the Tesla service people run diagnostics on the sensors?
You can go into service mode to see there is one section that shows sensor status. However as others pointed out, if their are errors the car will complain.

An easy way to test each sensor is to put a flat sound-reflective object in front of the sensor at a certain distance and go into park assist mode to see if the distance estimate is correct.