Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof with roof rack ***Crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a crack on my roof from a giant stone smashing the front edge of the glass. The crack started at the edge and went into the glass approx as far as yours. I just used the rainx windshield chip/crack repair kit to prevent the crack from growing and it's worked pretty well. I placed a small piece of blue tape where the crack stopped after filling it and it hasn't grown past it for the past 2 months.

Gonna just wait till more stones crack the roof before filing a comprehensive insurance claim because they will find some way to increase my rates for using insurance.

Yeah I think insurance companys might choke on replacing a roof.
Looked for the arrows and lines this morning could only find them on
one corner. Glad I am having them come by tommrow.

I had to put a black box over my head to even see the one I saw.
And I measured the distance.

So glad I had Tesla come by and attempt to install my roof racks.
He said he was having trouble seeing the Marks to. But the problem is
the Roof glass was glued on off center . Huge gap on one side and almost
no gap on the other . On the tight side he couldn't even get the brackets in.
He didn't have a toque wrench . I had calipers and measure the wide side at
7.5 mm Calipers would go down enough to fit on the tight side but I estimate
less than 5mm.
I heard they were using new glass maybe with more tint.

There going to redo the roof glass on April 18th.

I think this guy is suffering from the same thing

Attachments

• Left Side from front.jpg
    Left Side from front.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Right side from front.jpg
    Right side from front.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Yakima has an aftermarket rack setup for the Model 3 that does not require hooking to the mounts under the roof glass (or touching the glass with any of the rack components -- it hooks to the drip rails). However, it is more expensive than the one bought through Tesla, and may have a bit more drag (= noise and consumption) (or a lot more drag if you choose round bars instead of aero bars). But it does put the bars at equal height, and the bars sticking out past the towers may be useful for some people.

Yeah I had that type on the Integra that I had for 24 years till I drove it into the ground. And I trust I trust that setup more than the Tesla setup . This for a Y
I have aero bars on the BMW Wagon but it has built in Side Rails . They kind of
mess up the side seals but it might be a good trade off for some . I would never ever use the Sea Suckers which are attached by suction cups.
The orignal S had ports built into the Metal on the Side . The Tech that was here
today had S with those . I pointed it out to him. The Tesla Racks only cause you to loose 1 % on range without loads. With Loads I am expecting 10 to 30 percent reduction in range . Width is a plus if you stack board side by side.

Also those would probalbly really destroy you range . I leave my racks on all the time because I use them a lot.

Last edited: